+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry stolen electric wires in home.

While I was on vacation someone cut and stolen all of the electric wires from my meter box to inside of my trailer. Who do I call tonotified about this, the electrician I called to fix it, just laughed and told me I was a stupied woman, that I needed to replace everything in the walls too. Can this be replaced without replacing the existing wires in the walls? Thanks! ladytstarlight

Default Re: stolen electric wires in home.

Try another contractor -- I don't see any reason to assume that if the guy stole the outside wires -- he was stealing the copper -- to believe that there was any damage done to the inside wiring. That being said -- it could be that the age of the trailer means that it would have to be upgraded to be up to code if any changes are made -- but that would mean that your trailer is pretty old.

Running the wiring from the meter to the trailer is a little tricky -- the meter has a seal on it -- that may have to be replaced -- contact the power company -- who you pay the bill to, and ask them for a recommendation to fix the wiring to your trailer -- they should be able to recommend a person that will be OK.

Bob H

You should also report this to the police if you haven't done so already.

If it were me I'd also post a comment on Angie's List about the rude electrical contractor to whom you spoke. His comments were out of line and totally unprofessional.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob H View Post
    Try another contractor -- I don't see any reason to assume that if the guy stole the outside wires -- he was stealing the copper -- to believe that there was any damage done to the inside wiring. That being said -- it could be that the age of the trailer means that it would have to be upgraded to be up to code if any changes are made -- but that would mean that your trailer is pretty old.

Running the wiring from the meter to the trailer is a little tricky -- the meter has a seal on it -- that may have to be replaced -- contact the power company -- who you pay the bill to, and ask them for a recommendation to fix the wiring to your trailer -- they should be able to recommend a person that will be OK.
    And inspected as well.

Alfetta159 Guest

I'm always afraid to use any non-ferrous metal outdoors (e.g. copper fence post fineals, brass garden ornaments,) because I'm afraid they'll be stolen. Tubular guard rails are stolen from freeways in the SF Bay Area because they're aluminum. I can't even put out glass bottles for curb side recycling, because my city-issued recycle bins will get stolen with all the recyclables in them...

Another funny story is how a U.C Berkeley website was down because an underground network cable was stolen. The web admins had the last laugh though: It was a fiber-optic cable.

Those outdoor condensers for a/c are prime targets around here.

Quote Originally Posted by ladytstarlight View Post
    While I was on vacation someone cut and stolen all of the electric wires from my meter box to inside of my trailer.
    Can this be replaced without replacing the existing wires in the walls? Thanks! ladytstarlight
    The wires from the panel inside the trailer to the meter would have to replaced... so depending on the distance and how they are run might be what he was referring to.

the electrician I called to fix it, just laughed and told me I was a stupied woman, that I needed to replace everything in the walls too.
    If that was his attitude then another contractor would be in order.

From here no one can tell what state the existing wiring inside the trailer is in. Perhaps there is improper wiring that had been done that needs correcting or you may have aluminum wiring with incorrect outlets and switches attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfetta159 View Post
    Another funny story is how a U.C Berkeley website was down because an underground network cable was stolen. The web admins had the last laugh though: It was a fiber-optic cable.
    A few years back, a hobo managed to cut off the whole state of Minnesota from the Internet for a few hours.

To keep warm, he started a fire under a bridge across the Mississippi River. But the fire got out of control, and burned some phone cables that happened to be running along the bottom of that bridge. These included the fiber optic lines that connected the 'wholesaler' of ISP services to the Internet backbone, so that took down all Internet ISP's in the state.

Note that this company did have redundant fiber optic lines from the phone company. One set of lines ran down University Ave, the other went out of the building and ran down Washington Ave. However, it turned out that both lines came together and ran in conduits next to each other under the Washington Ave bridge. So their 'redundant lines' actually had a single point of failure -- and an accident managed to find it!

I can not imagine A Electrical contractor telling you are a dumb women. I would assume he did not want to replace the rubber cord from the trailer to the panel for a reason of his liability. I bet he said there are too many things that were not safe and if he did replace it he would then be liable if there was fire or some was hurt or killed by electricution. This is because of unsafe conditions of the existing electrical system within the trailer. I bet he was told by the lady she just wanted the rubber cord replaced only. He told her she would be crazy to just replace the cord. In trailers you need a neutral and a ground to the trailer. you also need both in 240 volt appliances if this wasn't done then the trailer frame can become energized which then becomes a huge hazard. I would have also turned the job down. but I would have explained why it was unsafe.Call another electrical contractor not a handy man as a trailer is not a something a homeowner should be working on. Good luck
    Last edited by Ravens53; 03-11-2008 at 01:21 PM.

A few years back, a hobo managed to cut off the whole state of Minnesota from the Internet for a few hours.

To keep warm, he started a fire under a bridge across the Mississippi River. But the fire got out of control, and burned some phone cables that happened to be running along the bottom of that bridge.
    Was that the 35 W Bridge by chance?