+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Leaking shut off valve

I turned off the shut off valve to my refrigirator ice maker for repair. When I turned the valve on again it began leaking, so I turned it off again. How do I stop the leaking? Is it just a matter of taking off the nut and repaking it?

Default Re: Leaking shut off valve

The packing around the valve stem tends to get hard and conform to the stem. When you move it, it retains that shape and doesn't mold itself to the new location on the stem. Before trying to replace or repack anything, try just tightening the stem nut slightly and see how that goes. Also, when you turn the water on, turn it on full, then back closed an 1/8th turn so that the packing isn't being deformed by the valve itself.

If you do end up replacing or repacking the valve, be sure to turn off the water main and relieve the pressure in the line by opening an exterior hose bib before messing with the valve. It will likely be faster and easier to just replace the valve rather than trying to repack it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the information. If I replace the valve I need to remove the old valve at the two areas that it is soldered on to the copper pipe. Is there a way that I don't need to use solder to connect the valve, that is using compression fittings?

Can you post a picture of the valve in question? It would seem odd that you'd have to break any solder connections to change the valve. Typically, angle stops are either compression or threaded, they do not require solder work of any kind.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

its been my experience that most of these valves are soldered,at least here in MA.compression fittings on the "live" side of a shut off are illegal as well they should be,if you cant solder a joint your in the wrong trade,repacking this valve is a slam dunk repair

Quote Originally Posted by murphmgh View Post
    its been my experience that most of these valves are soldered,at least here in MA.compression fittings on the "live" side of a shut off are illegal as well they should be,if you cant solder a joint your in the wrong trade,repacking this valve is a slam dunk repair
    Interesting. I've lived all along the western coast my entire life and have never come across a soldered angle stop. My guess is that it's either a recent code change or a regional preference.

That's what makes this trade fun, learning what's done around the country/world and how it differs from your own backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by murphmgh View Post
    So you are saying that you can not use a 5/8x3/8 compression stop
    on a stub out?

Default Re: Leaking shut off valve..

are you saying the shutoff is soldered on both sides???i may have read you wrong,that would be a 1st for me,i'd go for the repack if you got summin funky like that..i,d be surprised if its as you state,i agree w/spruce i pic will help

Sounds like it's some kind of inline device rather than a stub out. Around here I still see a lot of saddle valves used.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb