+ Reply to Thread

Default Tub Water not draining

Hey guys Im hoping you can give me a push in the right direction here.. Our tub over the last 2-3 weeks has not been draining all the water out after use. Sometimes it will go out after a couple hours and other times is goes no where. The sink, toilet and washer don't seem to be having any problems overflowing or anything, sink does go down a little slow though, all those go into the same large drain pipe but all enter into the pipe seperately. A few things I have tried is drano which didnt work, I removed the plug and the lever unit thinking it got gunked up around that but that is ok. Ive plunged for a few hours now and nothing seems to be moving. Oh Ive also tried a snake through the plug lever pipe but it just hits the trap.. Im sort of out of ideas other then taking pipes apart in the basement, I have average plumbing skills but this one might be over me a bit.. Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks

- Kurt

Default Re: Tub Water not draining

How old is this tub and is the waste and overflow plastic or brass

Quote Originally Posted by MSSP View Post
    How old is this tub and is the waste and overflow plastic or brass
    Its about 35 years old.... Definelty not plastic.. and dont think its brass either, I would say its more cast then brass...

Start by removing the trap and see if it's clogged. Be careful you dumped Draino in there. If the trap is clear you can run the snake through the line once the trap is removed. If this is an old house you might even have a drum trap. They kind of look like cans Some have removable tops to clean them out but I would recommend cutting it out and replace it with a regular trap.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 01-07-2009 at 11:50 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Start by removing the trap and see if it's clogged. Be careful you dumped Draino in there. If the trap is clear you can run the snake through the line once the trap is removed. If this is an old house you might even have a drum trap. They kind of look like cans Some have removable tops to clean them out but I would recommend cutting it out and replace it with a regular trap.
    Jack

Thanks Jack.. I kind of thought thats what I was going to have to end up doing.. House was built in about '75 and the trap looks normal and I dont see any canisters..

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Jack
    Great picture Jack. Replacing the trap will more than likely fix problem since you said nothng else in this bathroom has a problem draining. Soap and hair build up probably
    Last edited by MSSP; 01-10-2009 at 08:15 AM. Reason: added

Quote Originally Posted by bud168 View Post
    Hey guys Im hoping you can give me a push in the right direction here.. Our tub over the last 2-3 weeks has not been draining all the water out after use. Sometimes it will go out after a couple hours and other times is goes no where. The sink, toilet and washer don't seem to be having any problems overflowing or anything, sink does go down a little slow though, all those go into the same large drain pipe but all enter into the pipe seperately. A few things I have tried is drano which didnt work, I removed the plug and the lever unit thinking it got gunked up around that but that is ok. Ive plunged for a few hours now and nothing seems to be moving. Oh Ive also tried a snake through the plug lever pipe but it just hits the trap.. Im sort of out of ideas other then taking pipes apart in the basement, I have average plumbing skills but this one might be over me a bit.. Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks

- Kurt
    Its about 35 years old.... Definelty not plastic.. and dont think its brass either, I would say its more cast then brass...
    ABS has been around for a while - and was used a lot in the 60s and 70s for waste DVW above ground. Would be less likely to be CI in mid 70s just due to the cost of it around that time, even less likely it would be copper waste - might be galvanized pipe too.. Although the overflow assembly and drain basket might be brass - what it connects to (trap arm, trap) may well be something other than brass.

I would be highly doubtful a 1973-1978 (about 35 years) home would have a drum trap in PA. There should be a cleanout where the horizontal waste line changes direction to verticle it may be behind a plumbers door or it could be behind drywall - likely in a floor ceiling area below.

Since the problem has just been for 2-3 weeks and you're in PA so experiencing winter weather and freezing temps off and on for that time as well as snow...

I'd track down the venting for the tub. Do you have an attic?

Could be that you have a frozen auxiliary plumbing vent. If the auxiliary vent doesn't rejoin the main vent prior roof penetration, or very close to the roof deck line, it may not have been increased in size enough to prevent freezing. If it runs in an outside wall another potential contribution to it freezing. If you have a to atmosphere auxiliary vent it also might be snow/ice covered on the outside.

Many areas of PA still allowed "wet venting" in the mid 70s.

There is a tub drain snag device that is more flexible than a snake, looks more like a larger version of those zipper zig zag large garbage ties - sometimes works wonders for fishing through the most difficult area of a tub drain/trap and overflow. They cost just a few dollars.

Are you sure that when you removed the assembly, that all PARTS of same were accounted for? If for example you had the style that a cylinder stopper was on the end, usually secured by a cotter pin or two (one cotter pin to the back of the overflow/lever plate, possibly another further down in the assembly), some "hook and eye" connections (to allow it to be jointed and fed into the overflow, and later removed) and a threaded rod and nut for distance/length adjustments) - and you did not retrieve it (for example if the cotter pin broke or was rusted through - if they didn't use a brass one) that could be what is blocking your ability to clear the drain and for the tub itself to drain.

Pictures of the assembly you removed from the overflow, and the drain basket (stopper system) would be helpful to determine if you have removed all the parts of the assembly. Suspect this (failure to retrieve all of the parts of the assembly) may be more likely, since you mentioned a lever on the overflow plate.
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 01-11-2009 at 11:11 AM.

Thanks

- Kurt
    Hey Bud did you ever get your tub to drain? If so what was the problem? Just curious.