+ Reply to Thread

Default Venting a high effiency furnace near windows

Hello All,

I just had a company come in today and install a 95.5% effiency furnace (forced hot air by natural gas) My concern is where they vented it, i have a 7 year old in one room and in the next few days i will have a newborn in another room that has windows close to the vent.

Essentially there are 2 windows on the side of the house, the vent is about 3'9" away from one of the windows (diagonally) should this be a concern or am i ok?

Default Re: Venting a high effiency furnace near windows

Are the windows drafty and leak air? I would think the windows would be closed while the furnace is in use, no?

Well that is a very good point but i was thinking more for both A) in the event that they are and B) if i decide to sell the house, am i going to run into some huge code violation

Not sure where I saw it but it seems to me that it said a minimum of 4'. No bets on that though. Suggest you check with your locale building dept.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I also worry about the safety issues related to the air coming out of my high efficiency gas boiler vent. Mine is near a window as well. Keep in mind that if you have an indirect hot water heater (the water is heated by the boiler) the vent will have exhaust year round.

Regardless of what the codes allow (most times they require only 12" clearance from the window), I would recommend contacting the local Fire Dept.---each FD has spe******t firemen whose job it is to monitor heating & venting equipment and its placement so that it is not a carbon monoxide threat, especially to young children.

The FD handles many of these calls annually & if they see a problem, will petition the city council to rewrite the town fire code ordinances.

Aside from that, it's important to get the name & model # of the furnace & check its installation manual---they're required to include a wealth of info on venting guidelines, distance from windows, doors, etc., as noted in the National Fuel Gas Code/ ANSI Z223.1/NFPA 54, "Exterior Vent Placements"