+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wiring

Question Wiring

I have Knob and Tube wiring in my home. How hard is it to replace it? Do I need a Professional?

Default Re: Wiring

Given that you asked that question, I would guess that you don't feel confident in doing the job or that you lack experience. A professional will be expensive, but he can usually get the job done in less time, do less damage, and pass inspection. With a professional installation you should not have to worry about having your insurance deny coverage if you have a fire. A professional will do the installation with every thing up to code and properly load matched.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thank you for your advise. I have no knowledge about wiring other than replacing or moving something that has already been done.

I do have a breaker box and wasn't sure how difficult it would be to replace the knob and tube one room at a time by following what is already there if you know what I mean. Anyhow thanks,

It would be a good time to upgrade the service too.

Unfortunately the way K&T wiring is done it is often easier and less expensive to rewire a whole house at once than one room at a time.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb