+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cocked windows

Default Cocked windows

Hi
    I own a 16 ~ 17 year old Colonial wood frame house complete with vinyl siding and Anderson windows. The problem I have is that some of the windows are not square-- that is the sash does not meet the sill evenly from left to right. There are gaps of inch or more on some windows. To make matters worse the sash binds and is hard to maneuver on these windows. House settling does not appear to be an issue. The sheet rock is not cracked or deformed. My question is what can be done to resolve the situation?
    I would appreciate any advice you can offer.
    Sincerely,

Default Re: Cocked windows

You've got to figure out why your windows are racked in the first place and why the heck your sill/frame is moving (overzealous insulation - inproper installation, water/freezing, whatever). You didn't say if your prime windows were traditionally installed or nailing fins either, or what type of windows - just a brand name and that you have an operable sash (double hung, casement, awning, sliding, etc.) Andersen makes many window sytles.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/windows

If I had to guess and my ESP skills are next to none, I'd guess you have nailing fin installed windows, improperly flashed, you mentioned vinyl siding maybe just a bunch of Jmould around the window and a heap of failed caulk, water getting in where the pan should be and its freezing, or rotting shims, fasteners; and/or somebody blew in a bunch of expanding foam insulation around the window behind the inside trim and its blown the install.

Get a level and tape measure and if necessary remove the inside trim mouldings and see what's going on.