+ Reply to Thread

Default Drilling new holes in a porcelain kitchen sink

I purchased an apron (barn style) porcelain kitchen sink at a yard sale. It has only 1 hole in the back splash. All of the 1 hole wall mounted back splash faucets I've found are over $1000. Is there a tool that I could use to drill 2 more holes in the back of this sink? Any suggestions? I'm on a very small budget. Thanks.
    Last edited by Wendy; 09-05-2007 at 09:19 AM. Reason: left out that the faucet needed is a wall mount style

Default Re: Drilling new holes in a porcelain kitchen sink

I forgot to add that this sink has a wall mounted hole in the back splash. Any new suggestions? Thanks.

Default Re: Drilling new holes in a porcelain kitchen sink

I'm attaching a stock picture of the sink. This picture shows 2 holes in the back splash. My sink only has 1 hole. Here is a picture of the kitchen. We are in the middle of purchasing this house so I don't have an up close picture of the sink area. I can get one if needed. Please take a look and see if you think the plug idea and faucet idea will work. I'm up to ANY suggestions. I'm new to this site so I'm not sure if I attached the pictures correctly. Please let me know if they don't open. Thanks so much!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kohler gilford sink.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	108   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kitchen.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	109  

Smile Re: Drilling new holes in a porcelain kitchen sink

I was given a very nice porcelain & cast iron sink with faucet, which was much nicer than the stainless steel version I had. The problem was I needed an extra hole to install the reverse osmosis faucet. I searched far and wide and got a vast array of answers from...impossible to easy. I decided to give it a try. I first put duct tape over the part I wanted to drill (to try to keep the porcelain from cracking too much). I first used a 1/4" glass and tile bit to get through the porcelain portion. Then I used a unibit that started at 1/4" and stepped up to 3/4" in small increments. As I drilled at a slower speed, I had a helper drizzle some anti freeze solution over the bit to keep it cool. It took awhile, but it worked fine. There was some chipping around the hole, but the faucet flange more than covered that. So for those people that said "impossible"...shame on you. Just realize you will get some chipping, so drill the smallest hole you need so the flange will cover any chipping. Plus the smaller the hole the easier it is to drill.
    Last edited by mlmacgregor; 01-03-2008 at 04:35 PM. Reason: typo