+ Reply to Thread

Question Mastic removal from untreated Dug Fur floor ?

Is there anything that will take black mastic off an unfinished wood floor without staining the floor forever? I have a Doug Fir T&G floor installed in 1923 that was covered with Linoleum which I have removed, but the black mastic is stuck here and there to the floor. How do I remove the black mastic without staining the floor? The mastic does no appear to have soaked into the wood and looks like tar! I would like to sand and finish the floor natural!

Elyria, Oh.

Default Re: Mastic removal from untreated Dug Fur floor ?

A heat gun and a sc****r will remove it but it is tedious work. Keep a small water sprayer handy for fire safety. Prespray corners and areas between walls and floors and hit it again after removal of mastick.

Default Re: Mastic removal from untreated Dug Fur floor ?

Hi Bill. I'm dealing with the same problem! My research and the advice I've received indicate asbestos in the mastic. I had this tested by a lab to confirm. It's not legal to remove more than a couple (like 10 I think) square feet of this yourself, at least here in CA. Hiring an EPA approved hazmat team to sand and remove the mastic is out of the question with my budget. So, the key is to make sure the asbestos stays in place, is encapsulated and doesn't become friable or airborne. I've also been advised that there are no chemicals in existence today that will remove this (call Franmar - they've been working on development) and that nothing will stick to it if I wanted to do another glue down flooring on top of it. Finally, even if I did find a way to remove the mastic, or even removing the boards themselves, disposing of it is a commitment to be responsible for it for eternity. A document needs to be signed that links you to the hazardous waste, and if there's ever an issue with it in the future, you will be contacted. So, It's become obvious to me that refinishing these boards is not an option. I've determined that I have three options: lay a new plywood subfloor on top of it, install a floating floor, or install carpet. I really didn't want to do floating because they never feel as solid as a glue down floor, but I finally went ahead and ordered floating planks. In the meantime, I decided to paint the floor to mitigate the asphaltic smell and to see if it would stick. It's only been two days, but it seems to be sticking fairly well, and I've been told the smell is less strong, but I can't really tell myself because I've only painted one room so far, and there's still lots of exposed mastic in the house. I feel for you Bill! Has anyone else had any experience with this?