+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Toilet "rocks"

Default Toilet "rocks"

I just finished installing a new tile floor in a bathroom
    The flange (I left the old one in place) is about 1/4 inch
    above the finished floor. When i set the toilet in place (dry)
    is "rocks" on the flange.
    Should the flange be flush with the finished floor?
    It is a sweated copper flange and is in good condition and flat

Thanks

Default Re: Toilet "rocks"

Yes, the flange should be flush with the finished floor. However, there should be enough of a gap between the base of the toilet and its drain port to handle your 1/4" rise.

When you "set" the toilet during installation, did you lean on the toilet enough to compress the wax ring to the point the toilet base would sit on the floor?

I set the toilet dry, without the wax ring. Wanted to test it before it got that sticky wax alll over it

My bad....I didn't realize that was what you meant by "dry". I'm curous, if you set a straight edge on the base of the toilet, how much clearance is there to the drain port? (the space allowed for the wax ring?)

I just measured one I have in the garage and there is 5/8". I suspect the drain port on the toilet is too large to fit inside the opening in the closet flange rather than a height issue.
    Last edited by bp21901; 01-05-2009 at 10:19 PM.

They make toilet spacers that fit under the toilet, but for the life of me I can't remember where I saw them.
    You say that you have copper waste line, I wonder if it is a small 3" flange instead of a 4".

Is the toilet a new one or the one that was installed before the floor replacement?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Oh, one other question. Is the toilet rocking on the flange or rocking on the floor?

If it's just rocking on the floor you can install shims to take care of that.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I looked this morning, the flange on a 3" (pipe size) closet flange allows the drain port on the toilet to fit inside it. The wax ring also fits around the drain port, sits on top of the closet flange and fills the 5/8" space (measured on the toilet in the garage - yours may be different) from the bottom of the base to the edge of the drain port. It sounds to me like your drain port doesn't fit inside the copper closet flange you have. Try measuring the OD of the drain port and the ID of the flange to see.