+ Reply to Thread

Question install water from house to garage

Hi
    I have a garage that is standalone from the house. The garage has plumbing and drain but there is no water coming in. In February a contractor working on frozen pipes coming from the street probably disconnected the water line that was going to the garage.
    My question is: what would be a proper way to connect water from the main house to the garage? The main house crawl space has about 5 feet of clear space from the ground to the water coming into house. There is about 6 feet from the house wall to the garage wall and there is concrete in the garage where the existing water valve is coming out.
    Would someone have some ideas how to fix it so there is water coming in to the garage?
    Thanks much.

Default Re: install water from house to garage

If you had running water there before the plumber messed with things, then I'd find the original line and reconnect it. If the line going to the garage was the one that has freeze damage, then running a new line will be a must. In this case, I'd be inclined to replace the existing line in it's current location unless rerouting it can prevent breaking up concrete, otherwise cutting a trench through concrete isn't all that difficult and it can be backfilled and new concrete poured easily enough.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Question Re: install water from house to garage

I hoped there would be an easer solution like running the pipe above the ground but things do not work like that and so breaking up concrete is inevitable. How deep a water pipe might have to be placed. Is there some kind of requirement for insulation? What about the pipe, is copper pipe OK to place under ground? This is in Colorado and it can get cold.
    Thanks much.

I can't answer those specifics because I am not in your region. If you dig up the old line, then that should be the minimum depth to place the new line. If you had a freeze problem with it, then you need to put the line further below the frost line. Copper should be fine in contact with earth, but again, cannot speak to your local codes. If your home isn't very old, then replacing the line like for like will be sufficient.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Arrow Re: install water from house to garage

Thank you A. Spruce. I think they already took out the old line when fixing the freeze so only the line to the main house is there. I will dig between the houses and like you say I will go deeper to keep it safe.
    Thanks.

In Colorado you want to be 3' or more below the surface, below the frost line. Also, I know near Colorado Springs the copper water lines in the ground had problems where the soil was eating holes into it. But, up north of Denver that problem didn't exsist.
    Process of elimination. Good luck.