+ Reply to Thread

Default Wax damage to wooden deck

Hi all,
    I recently built a new deck with treated lumber and was waiting for the wood to dry out a little before I sealed it with a waterproof sealant. Unfortunately my 3 year old son decided to mash a wax bug candle into the wood in 3 seperate places. Now no matter what I try I cannot get the ugly wax stains out. These stains make the deck look wet in those areas. I was hoping that they would diminish over time but its been about 6 months and no luck, does anyone have any suggestions?

Default Re: Wax damage to wooden deck

I guess I would first try placing a single layer of brown paper bag over the area and then apply a relatively hot iron over the paper. This *should* result in alot of the wax being aborbed/blotted up into the paper.

The remainder of the wax in the wood fibers can hopefully be dissolved with mineral spirits and then wiped up with paper towels or similar. Might require a little soaking first, but *should* work. Will probably require several "treatments". Wouldn't likely hurt if you used some #000 or #0000 steel wool to aid in the removal.

If that doesn't get it all, try a little lacquer thinner in place of the mineral spirits.

PS- Clean the sole of the iron off well after you use it or your wife is gonna kill ya. <G>
    Last edited by goldhiller; 01-06-2009 at 02:04 AM.