+ Reply to Thread

Default cutting granite countertop?

I have I guess what could be called "Prefab" granite counter tops. They're 72" x 25" x 3/4" slabs with a finished front edge
    The cut will be hidden under the lip of an ikea farmhouse sink

Do I dare try to cut this myself or should I take it over to a local granite place? I got a phone quote of ~$140 for the 2 unfinished cuts needed.

I have a large angle grinder and circular saw. I've heard I could do this myself with either using the right blade. It sounds like DIY would be much cheaper but how hard is this to do? I could ruin the countertop with a bad cut. they were cheap slabs of granite but not that cheap.

Default Re: cutting granite countertop?

I don't see why you can't cut the hole out yourself with a diamond blade in your circular saw. Do it outside if possible, if not tent the area and ventilate it outside with a fan. Wear a good quality dust mask, ear and eye protection.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Check out this previous thread ---- especially what havannagranite has to say.
    Make note of the mention of using the core ( same one that will be used for the faucet holes ) bit ( 1-3/8 ) in the corners.

You can use a common skilsaw with a diamond blade to plung cut the straight lines.

http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=220
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Yeah, never cut inside corners square; use a hole saw or you will induce a stress riser-- the beginning of a crack. The curved inside corner spreads the stress rather than focusing it.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Thanks for the advice. Unless I get a much cheaper quote from another shop I'll risk cutting it myself.