+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Replace the clean out plug in a cast pipe

I need to replace the clean out plug in the cast pipe (sewer line) which is just above the concrete floor in my basement. My house was built in 1946 and bell type pipe 5" in length was used and it seems to be sealed with lead. My questions is: what is the best way to remove this clean out plug (removing the lead) so I can add a new piece of pvc in it's place???

Default Re: Replace the clean out plug in a cast pipe

Are you sure that it's not a threaded plug screwed into an insert, and it's the insert that's set in lead? If you can unscrew it, just use a male threaded adapter to the plastic pipe.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Default Re: Replace the clean out plug in a cast pipe

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    Are you sure that it's not a threaded plug screwed into an insert, and it's the insert that's set in lead? If you can unscrew it, just use a male threaded adapter to the plastic pipe.
    Thanks for responding, I do need to replace the actual insert.
    Any ideas on removing the lead? drill into it and then chip it out?