+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default From Standard to GFCI Circuit

I am going to install a Broan Recess Lght/Vent Fan over our Bath Tub. What is the easiest way to make the exsisting wiring in the cieling into a GFCI???.....can I go in the Attic (over the Tub), wire the exsisting wiring into a GFCI outlet, secure that to a post, the wire from that outlet to the Light/Fan...will that make it a GFCI Cicuit to the Light/Vent Fan???. I was thinking of a GFCI Breaker, but I don't mess with the panel, would have to hire an electrician....the Wife doesn't want to spend a penny extra

Default Re: From Standard to GFCI Circuit

Yes, you can wire the light/fan off the load side of a GFCI outlet.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Sounds like the OP wants to put a GFCI receptacle up in the attic to feed the fan/light?

If this was the case and it had tripped you have to go up into the attic each time to reset the GFCI.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Sounds like the OP wants to put a GFCI receptacle up in the attic to feed the fan/light?

If this was the case and it had tripped you have to go up into the attic each time to reset the GFCI.
    Sorry, I think you are right.
    Jack

Yup, that's what I'd have to do. I figure it wouldn't trip unless the shock protection is needed....hopefully it'll never happen.

I should warn you Beer Belly, it's common for motors to cause false trips of GFCIs.
    Jack

Thanks for the warning, I'm gonna go ahead a give it a shot and see what happens....it'll be easy enough to just remove the outlet and use the box as a junction, then go the Breaker route if needed.

Just to let you know .... I have a bath fan running off a GFCI and it does trip from time to time .
    It's called nuisance tripping for a reason ..... it would be a nuisance if I had to get into the attic to reset it each time.

The other thing to consider .... is the existing wiring part of a shared neutral circuit?
    If so .... GFCI's don't work well on this type of wiring configuration and would likely trip often.

Just a thought.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

You could get a combo GFCI device to put in the wall in the bathroom, bring the power circuit to there first from the attic and fish down, then to the exaust fan/light. This way you can control it (on/off) safely from beyond the bath/shower zone and reset it should it trip.

They make devices with switches, receptacles, and blank front GFCIs.

Are you saying they make GFCI Wall Switches??. I do have a GFCI near the sink...maybe pick up power from there, run it to the Wall switch, then to the Vent Fan/Light