+ Reply to Thread

Default painting tin ceiling

Hi Guys,
    I purchased a hundred year old house 5 years ago. The dining room has a "tin" ceiling. It was obvious when I bought it that the ceiling was painted to hide the fact the old paint was chipping. We have remodeled most of the interior and are about to start the dining room. We would like to try and keep the tin ceiling. The paint is chipping, chips fall daily. We would like to repaint it but Iím not sure what is best to strip whatís remaining. I would like to be careful as not to loosen up the metal ceiling by using harsh techniques. I've tried paint strippers on other projects but never got good results. What is the best way to remove the remaining paint? I'm also not sure the type of metal it is. I know it's not copper or aluminum.

Default Re: painting tin ceiling

The best thing I have seen for a job like that is a soda blaster.It's like a sand blaster but uses environmentally safe bicarbonate of soda instead of sand. Here' a link for more info http://www.problastusa.com/sodablasting.htm or smaller units for sale at http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...ONTENT&path=32 If you check on the web you may find a rental unit in your area.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Oh and all due cautions and saftey measures for lead paint should be observed.
    Jack

Do yourself a big favor.They still sell the tin ceiling panels your talking about.Install a new one,there very simple to install.It will also look a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrychev View Post
    Do yourself a big favor.They still sell the tin ceiling panels your talking about.Install a new one,there very simple to install.It will also look a lot better.
    Yes they do at anywhere from about $12 to $30 a square foot.
    Jack