+ Reply to Thread

Default Identifying a wood turned decorative element

I have this wood turned element and I need to find more like it.I don't know where it came from.It's like a slightly domed convex disk of about 5 in diameter,wood turned,and on the reverse it has an instep of abt 1/4" all around and the height is about 1 inch.It looks like a very flattened mushroom or large button/medallion in profile.The back is slightly concave.I would like to know how it's called technically what it's used for and where to find more of these.I am going to use it differently though.
    Thank you.

Default Re: Identifying a wood turned decorative element

Can you post a picture.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

here's a sketch,thank you :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WOODDECOELEMENT0001.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	3722  

I just realized I posted this under under a not-very-appropriate heading (bathroom) but initially I jumped to the "Design" label.There is no carpentry section either...

Quote Originally Posted by Tomrogers View Post
    I just realized I posted this under under a not-very-appropriate heading (bathroom) but initially I jumped to the "Design" label.There is no carpentry section either...
    Yeah, TOH in it's infinite wisdom designed a site that's nearly unusable. There are way too many forums, none of which are a catch all for anything. The good news is that the cast of regulars here just hit the "new posts" button which brings up everything new since our last visit, so we usually catch most of the new topics and follow along as necessary. Of course, none of that helps you to find the right place to start a topic in the first place.

On to your question. If you could tell us what these "medallions" are being used for, it may help in divining an answer. Vandykes.com may be a place to find something similar. I think I'd take one of those to a specialty millwork supplier and see if they can find anything like it in their catalogs. Another thought would be to find the local woodworkers group and see if someone would be willing to make you a few, using one you have as a template. There are also custom woodworking shops that can do such things.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!