+ Reply to Thread

Default IKEA CFLs - anyone experienced this?

The first 3 CFLs we used (11w in 2 bedroom table lamps and a 13w in living room light) were purchased at Ikea some 7 years ago. (They were not the modern horizontal spiral design but rather the older verticial tube "folded" design.)

When the living room bulb "died" late one night 2 years later with a "pop" while lit, an acrid black plume spiraled to the ceiling. (This lamp was on 12 hours per day on average.)

We replaced this bulb in the living room with a brighter wattage GE one, and because the original Ikea ones were too dim for the bedroom, upgraded those too to larger GE spiral ones. (We have avoided Ikea bulbs ever since, and now use "name brand" GE or Sylvania ones only.) So far none of the GE or Sylvania bulbs have "burned out".

Default Re: IKEA CFLs - anyone experienced this?

Quote Originally Posted by condo_renter View Post
    The first 3 CFLs we used (11w in 2 bedroom table lamps and a 13w in living room light) were purchased at Ikea some 7 years ago. (They were not the modern horizontal spiral design but rather the older verticial tube "folded" design.)

When the living room bulb "died" late one night 2 years later with a "pop" while lit, an acrid black plume spiraled to the ceiling. (This lamp was on 12 hours per day on average.)

We replaced this bulb in the living room with a brighter wattage GE one, and because the original Ikea ones were too dim for the bedroom, upgraded those too to larger GE spiral ones. (We have avoided Ikea bulbs ever since, and now use "name brand" GE or Sylvania ones only.) So far none of the GE or Sylvania bulbs have "burned out".
    In my experience, it's always better to go with a trusted name brand than store labels or off brands, regardless of using a CFL or standard incandescent bulb.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

yeah, and its a normal end-of-life event. poof fuse link, poof small hole in plastic near screw base. waft short black smoke stink.

7 years you say, 12 hours per day average, 365 days per year, sounds like you got your money's worth and then some, with a completely normal perfect end-of-life event.

congrats.

Sounds like it lost its magic smoke.

Magic smoke, of course, is what makes anything electronic function. When you see the magic smoke leave the device, it ceases functioning.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.