+ Reply to Thread

Default I want to put drain pipes throughout yard

I would like to know the proper way to put in drain pipes throughout my back yard. What do I lay down underneath the pipe and what should I cover it with. I plan on putting some lose dirt on the very top of some and grass on the top of others. Thanks for the help.

Default Re: I want to put drain pipes throughout yard

First you need to lay it so it has a drop toward where you want the water to go. With no outlet it will do little good. Gravel in the bottom, then lay on drainage cloth set your pipes on it and wrap it around the drainage pipe, a layer of gravel, then the dirt fill.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Make sure to keep the holes on the pipe to the bottom or the pipe will fill with dirt and silt over time and plug up. Plenty of crushed rock and fabric surround the pipe will do the rest of the work.

Josh Jaros (Jaros Bros. Construction)

Is there anything wrong with using non perforated pipe instead?

Quote Originally Posted by jmgreen7 View Post
    Is there anything wrong with using non perforated pipe instead?
    If you are trying to get run off from one place to another with an outlet at the end, no problem. The point of perf pipe is so that water can dissipate as it travels, or in the case of a French drain or dry well, the water fills the gravel void where it then seeps into the ground.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

what is the minimun dropoff that should occur per foot? I vaguely remember 1/4 inch, but that may just be grading. Does it fully matter as long as the line is straight (no up and down undulations) and the exit is not higher than the top?

A 1/4" per foot is the best, though 1/8" will work if you're dealing with minimal height differences. And, yes, it's important not to have any undulations in the line, particularly if you're less than 1/4" per foot in fall.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!