+ Reply to Thread

Default Spalled ceramic tub

We have a vintage earthenware bathtub which has chipped and spalled as a result of a long-neglected dripping faucet as well as hard use. We have tried to use the kind of porcelain patching products available in little jars from the hardware store. The eroded area is too large for these products to be effective. We have considered using swimming pool patching cement or trying to have a waterproof liner custom-made. We would like to know if anyone has tried these methods and found them effective. I am sure there are hundreds of similar tubs in the prewar apartment buildings of New York and many people would be very happy to have a lasting solution to this problem, since it is a real nightmare to get a huge old built-in tub out of a small apartment.

Default Re: Spalled ceramic tub

Have you thought about reglazing the tub? IMHO, this is not a DIY project, you need the experience and equipment to achieve a professional finish. Google your area or look in the phone book under "bathtub refinishing".
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thank you for the suggestion, but we were wondering what might be available that we could do ourselves.

Next time you're at the home improvement center, go to the paint department and look at what is available for the DIY'r. Bondo used to put out a refinishing kit that was fiberglass resin and repair fabric and colorant that was painted onto the surface. I've not seen this type of all in one kit lately, but most of the stuff is still available separately. You can add automotive grade paint colorants to Bondo resin to color to your liking. Specifics on adding colorants can be had by contacting the manufacturer.

IMHO, having the tub refinished by a professional is well worth the few hundred dollars it will cost, and you'll get a warranty to boot.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!