+ Reply to Thread

Default What ducts to which registers? poor airflow in certain rooms

Greetings
    I'm the proud owner of a 2 story georgian outside of Chicago, so we get our fair share of hot/cold weather . Furnace in basement, and it sends ductwork to basement, first level, and 2nd level. Basement is about 75% finished, and drywall there covers a lot of ceiling, where ductwork may hide. I have two rooms on 2nd level that have very poor airflow thru their registers for both heat and cool, while other rooms on 2nd level have good to excellent airflow. I speculate it is a damper issue - the damper in the ducts that run to these rooms are closed. Problem - how do I find the ducts/dampers that run to these registers? all registers are on the floor/wall intersection, so the ducts likely run inside the walls. I can find some dampers, but not the ones for these rooms, in the crawlspace near the furnace. Is there a method to work from the register backwards to the furnace to find the correct duct? Many thanks.

Default Re: What ducts to which registers? poor airflow in certain rooms

As suggested in another thread, run an electricians tape down the duct. Have some one in the basement and someone shake the tape. Follow the sound and feel for vibration.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: What ducts to which registers? poor airflow in certain rooms

Excellent suggestion!
    Also note that MOST heating ducts can not provide proper cooling. Heating ductwork is typically smaller than what is required for cooling. Good luck.