+ Reply to Thread

Thread: door repair

Default door repair

Please advise how we can repair the steel door which is located between our foyer and garage. The "striker" (I believe that is what it is called) does not keep the door from opening. Needless to say, the door doesn't lock either. My main reason for asking this question is that our "puppy" 65 lb. ****en retriever, is continually pushing the door open and is getting into mischief in the garage. My idea is to remove the striker, put a thin piece of wood against the jam then screw the wood and striker into the jam. My husband's concern is that the screws won't hold once they are removed from the metal. We are able to do very simple household repairs and hope that this will be easy. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Default Re: door repair

Is there a wide gap between the door and the jam with the striker plate?
    Is the gap between the door and the jam even all the way around.
    Is the bolt aligned with the center of the striker plate?
    Has weather striping been added that may be preventing the door from closing all the way?
    If you open the door can you lift on the door knobs and fell the door lift up?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

That's good thinking that you finally decided to inset wooden plate in between your doors, and i am shocked that your puppy can remove sticker!

If you are looking for External Doors, It's good.

At Emerald Doors we stock the finest selection of quality external doors. An external door not only has the ability to completely transform the exterior look of your house, it can also benefit in keeping the draft out therefore keeping the house warmer. As well as this it also provides you with peace of mind when you go away or are asleep at night knowing that you have a quality external door to keep you, your family and your possessions safe.

Sounds like you have the wrong set back size for your door latch hardware. Some door latch hardware comes adjustable bolt some you have to purchase the correct size from the beginning. If your bolt/set back is the wrong size (too small) you can push the door open.

Door between home and attached garage is supposed to be fire resistant and blocked. Likely for security you also wouldn't want to be using a thin wood wafer to shim this.

A picture would be helpful if you are unclear on door hardware terminology or the parts of a doorway, but there are plenty of resources for you to learn about this.

If you have a wood jamb or a steel jamb (fire door) please advise.

You can look up what the "job" of a striker plate is and is NOT.

Quote Originally Posted by reenies2000 View Post
    Please advise how we can repair the steel door which is located between our foyer and garage. The "striker" (I believe that is what it is called) does not keep the door from opening. Needless to say, the door doesn't lock either. My main reason for asking this question is that our "puppy" 65 lb. ****en retriever, is continually pushing the door open and is getting into mischief in the garage. My idea is to remove the striker, put a thin piece of wood against the jam then screw the wood and striker into the jam. My husband's concern is that the screws won't hold once they are removed from the metal. We are able to do very simple household repairs and hope that this will be easy. Any suggestions? Thank you.
    This would place the striker plate proud of the frame and really isn't the way to compensate. If the gap is too wide at that point you would place shims between the jamb and jack stud moving the frame inward to close the gap and add rigidity.

In addition to JLM's suggestions .... look to see if the door is binding at the top or bottom preventing it to fully close.
    The frame or door may be out of plumb or hinges may be sprung.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush