+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Insulating a Vaulted ceiling in my garage

I have a question about venting when I insulate and finish off my garage. It has a vaulted ceiling right now with vents in the soffet. How do I properly vent this when I insulate? Currently I do not plan on heating it, but would prefer to insulate as if I am, just in case. There are no vents in the ridge at all. The rafters are 2X8. Any help would be much appreciated as I plan on doing this in about 3 weeks.

Default Re: Insulating a Vaulted ceiling in my garage

Hey Nyeguy,

I am Gregg with The Home Depot in Chicago. Sounds like youíve got yourself a pretty fun weekend project. You definitely want the proper ventilation on your ceiling when installing insulation. Before you put any insulation between the rafters, you should install a backing that allows air to move all the way from the soffit to the ridge. They usually look like this http://www.homedepot.com/buy/buildin...tem-20977.html

I know you said that you donít have any vents in the ridge, but there might not be visible evidence of them existing when looking on the inside of the garage. A lot of the time the vents are actually on the roof and are installed before the shingles. There has to be some way for the air to vent out at the peak of your roof. So you might want to try taking a closer look. Let me know if this helps. What kind of insulation were you planning on using? -Gregg