+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Draws to much Power

A weak power supply in the computer could be making the problem appear worse. They do go bad over time, especially if there has been a lot of voltage fluctuation. Surge suppressors do not protect your computer from voltage drops, but some UPSs do. Replacement power supplies cost around $40-50 and are pretty much universal fit.

You might also check the tightness of the screws on all the outlets on the circuit where your computer is. A loose connection somewhere on that line could be making the problem worse. And if any of the outlets are "backstabbed" -- that is, the wire goes into a hole in the back -- you should consider redoing it with a sidewire where the wire is wrapped under a screw. (Make sure only one wire per screw.)

Have the power company check for corrosion on and the tightness of the lugs in the meter base, any intermediate connections, and where the lines come into the electrical panel. You shouldn't do this yourself, since you won't have the ability to shut off the power to these lugs -- it's all upstream of your main breaker or fuses.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 04-13-2009 at 02:08 AM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.