+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Water Softener pellets

We currently have a Rain Soft series EC4 whole house water softener that we use potassium chloride pellets in. Because of the cost, I would like to change over to using salt pellets. Will this hurt the system? What needs to be done to change over. Thanks all.

Default Re: Water Softener pellets

Ever manufacturer's recommendation I have seem says you should not change from one to the other. I doubt you would save much money any way. The units set up for Potassium pellets seem to consume about half as much pellets as the same unit set up for chlorine based pellets.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

We are currently paying $12.99 per 40 pounds of potassium chloride, and salt pellets would run $5.99 per 40 pounds. We are currently using about 5 bags every two months.

There are only two of us in my household and we have well water. The first softener we had set up for salt and we used 4 to 5 bags a month, we replaced the softener because the manufacturer said it would not function correctly if we switched from salt to potassium based products. I don't know why. We now use 1 bag to 1 of potassium pellets per month. So it turned out to be cheaper for us to us the potassium pellets. Either you have very hard water, use a large amount of water, or you softener is set up to recycle to often.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb