+ Reply to Thread

Default Paint Roller Runs and Overspray

I bought a new house (spring 2007).

1) The contractor's painter spray primed the inside. There is spray paint in many places it shouldn't be, like on the finished BellaWood 3/4" by 3" cherry floors. The contractor used denatured alchohol in some areas - that de-glossed the factory-applied finish. I have tried many things, even Krud Kutter, to remove the paint. What is safe that will work?

2) The contractor created numerous 10" - 12" runs of latex wall paint from an overloaded roller. I've tried a razor blade sc****r, a putty knife and various types of sandpaper - even 3M Drywall Sanding Screens. The sanding process heats the paint and makes it gummy. I'm ready to scream. The paint on the trim looks just as bad. How can I remove these nearly 2-year-old, hardened runs?

Portland, Oregon, formerly of Chicago

Default Re: Paint Roller Runs and Overspray

When removing old latex paint, al;ways try the least harsh treatment first. I would first try using terry cloth which has been moistened with hot water and rub the flecks vigorously. More aggressive would be to take a terry cloth towel and moisten it with hot water and lay it on the spots for a minute, then try rubbing the spots again. Latex paints tend to loosen in the presence of heat and humidity. Do not wet the wood floor however, just moisten it. I would always start in an inconspicuous corner just in case some damage is done.

If the water does not work, try Goof-Off. Again try this product in an out of the way corner. Goof-Off does not normally damage oil based varnishes or paints, but rapidly removes latex paint.

As to the runs on the walls, I think your best recourse is to trowel on a thin coat of drywall mud to feather in the dried paint ridges to the surrounding areas. Sand with a sanding block and then spot prime the patches, prime the wall and then finish coat the whole section of wall.