+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to cut a notch on kitchen cabinet crown moulding

Hi All,

What is the best way to cut a notch in the crown moulding for the upper kitchen cabinets...specifically a notch that will fit tightly around the 1/4" reveal located on the side panel of the cabinet...I do not want to cut the notch on the cabinet reveal

Default Re: How to cut a notch on kitchen cabinet crown moulding

By reveal, are you referring to the scribe molding that covers the gap between the cabinet and the wall? If so, put an extra long piece of crown in place and mark where the scribe touches it, then whittle away the material until you get the fit you want. The tools to use will be a handsaw and utility knife and/or wood chisel. Once you've got the notch fitting the way you like, then cut the crown to length and install it.

If you're referring to some other piece of trim, then you'll have to elaborate and if possible, provide a picture.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Definitely...... a pic or two would be helpful/necessary.

Hi All,

See pics of what I was referring to regarding notching moulding to fit tightly around cabinet side reveal as indicated by pencil...Also I was informed that you should never nail crown moulding to the cabinet...why????Thanks for your help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02799.jpg 
Views:	827 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	1955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02800.jpg 
Views:	689 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	1956  

Notching would still be done the same as described above, only since the piece has been cut to length, just carefully whittle away where it bridges the reveal. It looks like the amount of material to remove is so minuscule that you could mark it with a utility knife then use a sanding block to remove the excess. The piece of crown will need to be removed from the cabinet to make the notch.

I've never heard of not attaching the crown to the cabinets. My suspicion is that the theory is by attaching to the ceiling only, it will allow the cabinets to move without causing gaps in the molding. I've always attached to the cabinets with no detrimental effects.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

crown is installed two different ways around the side of the cabinet, you either cut the ear of the cabinet where the crown rounds the corner so that it matches the side. or you use a 1/8 X 3/4 piece of scribe that matches your crown and nail it to the side of the cabinet running from the front lip on the cabinet back to the wall with the bottom of the scribe at the same height as the bottom of the crown. then nail your crown on the same way as you would when rounding any corner.
    and yes you nail the crown to the cabinet, but not the ceiling.

One problem I see from the pictures you posted is it appears that the front piece of crown molding is in place. If you cut that piece to come to the end of the face frame it will be to long when you notch the side piece of crown. If it is already nailed in place it could be difficult to get off without causing some damage. Your best bet would be to use the filler strip as Havana described. Hope this helps you out.

Mike

Hi Havanagranite,

Thanks for the info...How ever searching ****** I happened to find a video from Ask The Builder Tim Carter...He says in the video that you should install a frame support on top of the cabinet where you nail the moulding to...He says not to nail into the cabinet itself... is he correct...if so why...see the following video...Thanks again

http://www.askthebuilder.com/Cabinet...ng_Video.shtml

Sounds like a personal preference type of thing. I've nailed to cabinets before, the job came out fine, and still looks good. The weight of the cabinet could pull it all down a little and then you'll have a gap over time if you nail to the cabinets, but only time will tell.

What he didn't address in his video is the case where the cabinets are already installed and are fitted pretty tight to the ceiling. Not going to put any 1x spacers in there.

Just like most carpentry, there are probably two or three ways of doing most jobs and it's hard to say one is wrong or not. The above advice is all good so pick your poison and run with it. I'm betting it'll come out fine.

Good Luck.

first as to why he said not a good idea, I have no idea why he would say that and he didn't explain why he felt that way.

in his video he was using crown on cabinets that won't go all the way up to the ceiling, which isn't the case of the ones you posted in the video.

he may have been using that board for giving added clearence above the doors, maybe he uses to big of nails on his crown which it looked like in one of his photos and he may have been worried about those big nails either cracking the face frame or going through the face. which either way I wouldn't want to use that large of a nail because as from his photos the nails really would show. its not an area that gets stress or movement, no one is going to be hitting them or anything like that so usually smaller diameter the better.

looking at your pictures agian maybe they don't go all the way up and in that case you could do it just like he showed which would be ok also just make sure that the crown covers the gap between the 1X and the cabinet
    Last edited by havanagranite; 01-02-2009 at 08:41 PM.