+ Reply to Thread

Default Repair glazing and painting exterior windows

I have 2 double hung windows on my garage. They are badly peeled and are in need of repair to the glazing. there are 12 panes and about 8 need glazing repair.
    What should I expect the cost to be to hire a professional painter.
    Gary

Default Re: Repair glazing and painting exterior windows

tgogary,

The only way to determine what such a projet will cost is to get quotes from painters. Unfortunately, most contractors would look at this as a nuisance job. It is a relatively small job that requires at least a couple trips back to be done right. The old loose glazing has to be removed and the bare wood primed before re-glazing. The sash also needs sc****ing or paint removal before priming and painting. It might actually be more cost effective to replace your windows with vinyl replacement windows!

The painter is ultimately bidding on how much time is involved. The rate he charges depends on the general economy, the going rate in the area of the country and how hungry he is. Unfortunately for you, good painters with good reputations are rarely starving.

Ordjen,
    Thanks for the reply. I have only one quote. It is 5 hr to paint each window for $220 each and 4 hr to reglaze each window for $178 each. Does that sounnd like a fair price?
    Gary

tgogary,

Not having actually seen the windows and how bad a shape they are in it is hard for me to say. If he is going to do a really top notch job, I can believe it would take that many hours if the windows are in bad shape. Whether the hourly rate is fair for your area I can't say either. It would be quite reasonable in the Chicago area where I was a contractor for many years.