+ Reply to Thread

Default time lapse camera

I am trying to locate the time lapse camera on What is this? They never said the name. I tried to Google. no luck. What is the manufactorers name? tomk

Default Re: time lapse camera

Doesn't it just bug ya when they feature a freebie sample one of them picked up at a home show or some company forwarded to them that isn't on the market, and then they plug a bit into an episode that they don't have an episode description posted even two weeks after it first aired? And by the time they air the episode the product and company pre-promoting the "idea" has long since gone POOF?!? (Like the counterware inlaid cutting board kit??!? or the Festool compound miter saw that never made to market?!? the five week delay in posting the last few episode descriptions for ATOH, and TOH - 2 weeks behind now on ATOH and 1 on TOH, especially since they send you to the web site at the end of every show?!?) Me too! Frustrates me big time.

However, regarding this bird watching cam/garden watch cam I'll warn ya don't start clicking on web links for the company or who sells it, you'll end up with on demand malicious code. I'm willing to bet when and IF they ever include info on the "what is it" segment of the episode description (when and if they get THAT posted) it will refer to Brinno.com DO NOT PLUG THAT INTO YOUR BROWSER. Also be leary of any link showing up on a search engine that mentions something similar to birdwatchingcam or bird watch cam/camera. Most will attampt tol install on demand messing with your security and operating system and subvert your security codes with a redirect to birdwatchcam or similar without asking you despite your security settings.

The cam made the rounds with a short run of prototypes at some home shows and garden shows being pre-promoted as "Garden WatchCam" early last year. If you have experience with a good old fashioned mail-order garden catalog or bird-watching/bird feeding catalog that you know and trust - and you find it being offered, then MAYBE I'd try that - but I'm suspicious its already gone poof before production in quantity, if it ever made it to mass production, perhaps soon to end up in the discounters hands -- unless to be revived and make it to future market but I wouldn't hold my breath. At $150+ looks like overpriced novelty look on the order of what you'd find in sharper image, inserts to credit card bills, and frequent flyer/air line airmall catalogs.

You'll find some mention on some sales sites, mostly austrialian. Silly expensive when you can do the same with a cheap digital cam that is sold with a memory stick (this one is not) that you can get in a specialty electronics shop or spy shop, it is just a green painted and supposedly comes with abs staking pieces in a weather proof cover - big whoop. You can also just attach a fiber optic cam and fish it to your PC or go with a wireless lipstick cam and control your time-lapse with the computer..

Lightbulb Re: time lapse camera

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post

However, regarding this bird watching cam/garden watch cam I'll warn ya don't start clicking on web links for the company or who sells it, you'll end up with on demand malicious code. I'm willing to bet when and IF they ever include info on the "what is it" segment of the episode description (when and if they get THAT posted) it will refer to Brinno.com DO NOT PLUG THAT INTO YOUR BROWSER. Also be leary of any link showing up on a search engine that mentions something similar to birdwatchingcam or bird watch cam/camera. Most will attampt tol install on demand messing with your security and operating system and subvert your security codes with a redirect to birdwatchcam or similar without asking you despite your security settings.
    You have no idea what you are blabbing about. Sheesh!

The cam made the rounds with a short run of prototypes at some home shows and garden shows being pre-promoted as "Garden WatchCam" early last year. If you have experience with a good old fashioned mail-order garden catalog or bird-watching/bird feeding catalog that you know and trust - and you find it being offered, then MAYBE I'd try that - but I'm suspicious its already gone poof before production in quantity, if it ever made it to mass production, perhaps soon to end up in the discounters hands -- unless to be revived and make it to future market but I wouldn't hold my breath. At $150+ looks like overpriced novelty look on the order of what you'd find in sharper image, inserts to credit card bills, and frequent flyer/air line airmall catalogs.
    Totally wrong!!! Who are you and why are you such a dope!

You'll find some mention on some sales sites, mostly austrialian. Silly expensive when you can do the same with a cheap digital cam that is sold with a memory stick (this one is not) that you can get in a specialty electronics shop or spy shop,
    I own a $9000 Canon H1s professional HD video camera.. and I own a high quality web cam as well as a PEN spy cam. This is NOT a lousy quality "Webcam" toy or novelty! It is a must have for gardeners that also enjoy video. If you don't have a computer.. do not buy the Gardencam.

it is just a green painted and supposedly comes with abs staking pieces in a weather proof cover - big whoop. You can also just attach a fiber optic cam and fish it to your PC or go with a wireless lipstick cam and control your time-lapse with the computer..

Really.. So since you are the expert??!!
    Why didn't you post a link to your YOUTUBE channel? Where is all your timelapse video? Why? Yea right.

Because quality timelapse video is not EASY TO DO!

Jerk.

I just got the Gardencam. I ordered it from ThinkGeek.com. Paid about $140 for it. That fits within your $150 I guess.

I had a conversation with one of my friends that went a lot like this one. He is a legend in his own mind. ..sigh.. To bad HIS idea of high quality video is his $50 15fps video camera bought at Target. I see Admin banned you. Now I know why. Why do people that have NO IDEA about something tend to be self proclaimed experts ******? Jerk.

First of all Timelapse photography is NOT Easy.. It is actually pretty hard to do. If somebody says it is dumb to pay $$$ for the Gardencam they are a dope!

It takes amazingly clear images for a 1.2mp camera. The video files end up as a very easy to use .avi format. That means.. just about any video editor program can create a DVD from your efforts! Also it is very easy to watch on your computer and upload to sites like Youtube or dailymotion. (Or OpenVegas.tv)

If you want a "Time Machine".. this is it! The batteries last for an amazing 4 - 6 months. They use off the shelf AA's. I really love that! I hate dumb exotic batteries that are hard to get etc.

This is a well thought out time lapse camera. It is a good design and pretty rugged. If you are interested in watching your flowers "Open" or just watch your garden grow. THIS IS the camera for you!!

Well worth the money.. IMHO. It is not some Crummy junk "Web Cam" using a low quality CCD. It is a high quality camera. You will love the video's it creates. It surely blew me away!

As a test I set mine up to watch me sleep. All I did was leave my reading light on. Pretty cool~!

In the next couple of weeks I'll be taking timelapse videos of my backyard garden.. and be posting them on my youtube and OpenVegas.tv accounts. Why? Because I actually do things. I don't go on the Internet giving advice about something I don't have a clue about.

Thanks for reading.

GENE
    http://www.openvegas.com/vegas/gene
    Last edited by lvgene; 07-02-2009 at 09:46 PM. Reason: rewriting message