+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wood floors

Unhappy wood floors

why sand between each coat of polyurethane ? and is it ok to use 22o paper by hand , how many coats of poly. should i do on new oak flooring

Default Re: wood floors

Sanding is necessary for two reasons. The first coat or two of poly tends to raise the wood grain a bit. Second, as poly is applied, the brush tends to aerate or bubble it. Both of these scenarios leave behind a bit of roughness, so if you want a baby's bottom smooth finish, you lightly sand between coats.

Yes, 220 grit and hand sanding is acceptable. You're not actually trying to "sand" anything, you're only trying to remove the high spots and roughness.

I can't offer any specific advice on your floor as I have not done a project like this so far. My poly experience comes from furniture making.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Ditto to what Spruce said.
    You will want three coats. Make sure you use a poly rated for floors. My preference is OldMasters oil based poly.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Unhappy Re: wood floors

after first coat of poly i hand sanded with 220 and some spots look to light should i restain those spots and can i put ply down with a mop the lamb skin from lowes is way to small and im having a real hard time

If you sanded enough to lighten the floor, then you've sanded through the poly. That is way too much sanding, all you're trying to do is give it a light dusting to remove surface bubbles and lightly raised grain. You can try adding a little stain to the lighter areas, but with the poly already sealing the wood, it's not going to take very well if at all.

As for the application, when I'm doing furniture, I use a natural bristled or foam brush to apply the poly, larger pieces can take a while, but generally working slower is better as long as you maintain a wet edge to work from. I believe I've seen the pro's on the show using 3" brushes and working strips of floor about 12" wide. Using a mop will result in too much poly being applied and an uneven application.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

just dont make the mistake i made 2 years ago, i decided to go captain overkill on my sanding, decided to do 5 coats and use 400 grit on the last two coats, i spent the first 3 weeks on my arse as everytime i walked across the floor in socks i would almost always slip and fall
    fire up the saw and make some dust

do i need to go with the grain when i apply poly

Yes, you always go with the grain with everything you do. The only time it's ok to go across the grain is when you're in a corner or at the end of a run, but that's only to get the finish onto the material, then you immediately stroke with the grain to smooth and even out the finish. The reason for this is that the grain of the wood will hide streaks, smears, and brush marks as long as they follow the grain.