+ Reply to Thread

Default prolonging tool battery life

I use 12-volt battery operated drills on an occasional basis about once a month. They are kept on the charger when not being used. When the time comes I push them hard.

Some of the batteries are not holding their charge as well as when they were new. They have been used only 15 20 times and are pooping out.

My question should batteries be stored on or off the charger during periods of inactivity ?

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: prolonging tool battery life

Once charged, batteries don't like to sit. It is better to use them on a regular basis, the charge/discharge cycles keep the internal plates clear of crystallization, which is what degrades them over time.

If you're only using them once a month, then I'd suggest investing in a good corded drill such as a Milwaukee or other good name brand. Yes, you have to deal with cords, but you won't be hampered by underpowered or dead batteries, and in the long run, you'll save money by not having to prematurely replace batteries.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by john f View Post
    I use 12-volt battery operated drills on an occasional basis about once a month. They are kept on the charger when not being used. When the time comes I push them hard.

Some of the batteries are not holding their charge as well as when they were new. They have been used only 15 20 times and are pooping out.

My question should batteries be stored on or off the charger during periods of inactivity ?

Thanks for your help.
    You would have better performance and life from the batteries if you don't leave them on the charger when not being used for extended periods.

I agree with Sprucey regarding the corded drill.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

yup never leave a battery on the charger, especially if its not plugged in, the charger will drain the battery in turn killing the battery even for short periods of time. i use to work with a guy who would unplug my charger while i had batteries on it charging all the time so he could plug something else in even when there were more outlets in the room. basically he killed the batterys to a $300 makita cordless . every so often i will put all my batteries on teh charger if they sit for more than 2 weeks which is rare mind you just to top them off, im sometimes on sites where power is limited or were running off a generator, plugging a charger into a generator can kill the charger and the battery

what brand of tool are you using, if its a cheapo special your better off getting a corded drill anyway
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    yup never leave a battery on the charger, especially if its not plugged in, the charger will drain the battery in turn killing the battery even for short periods of time.
    If your charger is draining your battery , then you need a new charger . The diodes in the charger should prevent any " backfeed " .

the charger draining the battery when not being plugged in is something ive heard about from both the guys at the local milwuakee and dewalt repair centers

the charger draining the battery when not being plugged in is something ive heard about from both the guys at the local milwuakee and dewalt repair centers
    My personal opinion is that they are misinformed .

yup never leave a battery on the charger, especially if its not plugged in, the charger will drain the battery in turn killing the battery even for short periods of time.
    I second it..

Milwaukee Tools actually states in the owners manual that if you own a Lithium Ion Battery not to leave it in the charger unless it is in a cycle of charging. You should also not recharge a battery unless it has or is on the verge of dying. I don't know if it helps but I also keep my batteries disconnected from the tool while not in use. I feel that any possible circuit could potentially leak battery power.

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    My personal opinion is that they are misinformed .
    so your saying that the guys who know the tools inside and out dont know tools.... lay off hte bottle boss