+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Advice Needed - No water and a $4700 quote from my plumber

My water stopped flowing yesterday and we had the plumber out to look at it. He said that my water pump (i have well water) is dead and needs to be replace. Because the house is 50 years old the pump is at the end of a galvanized steel pipe that could be 100 to 200 feet into the ground. The only way to replace it is to have a special truck come in and remove the steel pipe, cutting it in sections, then putting in a new pump with a black plastic piping. The estimate for this work is $4700. Does that sound right?

Thanks.

Default Re: Advice Needed - No water and a $4700 quote from my plumber

Sorry, but it's impossible to say from here whether that "is right".

Presuming the plumber is being honest/correct as regards the pump actually being shot......that sounds mighty high to me. What you describe as far as pump depth, etc......would normally run about $1700 - $2000 around here....including a new quality pump. If you live in Beverly Hills or the Hamptons......the price would be go up.

But......if your plumber isn't being honest (or correct), the problem could be nothing more than a defunct pressure switch (about $20 for the part and 20 minutes to replace), a defunct condenser in the pump control box (Would only apply to a 240 volt/three wire submersible pump...cost maybe $40 for the part. Box is above ground so no need to pull the pump.).....or could be a broken wiring problem.....the cost of those repairs being entirely dependant upon just where that problem is.

If you have any doubts........I'd suggest getting another plumber in to have a look-see.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 12-31-2008 at 02:26 PM.

It seems a bit high to me also. But then maybe he has to hire a crane to come in from some distance to lift the 100 to 200 feet of galvanizes pipe out of the well.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

To me, it doesn't sound quite right. I would be very interested for someone with experience to describe such a situation, as it doesn't sound reasonable that someone would have installed a well pump that cannot be serviced without pulling up and replacing the casing.

With modern bored wells and submersible pumps, you can unbolt the top and see a threaded coupling. The plumber has a long pipe with a handle on it he screws into the coupling and then pulls the hose up to extract the pump assembly. You might want to take a peek.

Quote Originally Posted by MrButters View Post
    To me, it doesn't sound quite right. I would be very interested for someone with experience to describe such a situation, as it doesn't sound reasonable that someone would have installed a well pump that cannot be serviced without pulling up and replacing the casing.

With modern bored wells and submersible pumps, you can unbolt the top and see a threaded coupling. The plumber has a long pipe with a handle on it he screws into the coupling and then pulls the hose up to extract the pump assembly. You might want to take a peek.
    He's not talking about the casing, he's talking about having the pump on the end of a 100 to 200 feet long galvanized pipe rather than plastic pipe.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    It seems a bit high to me also. But then maybe he has to hire a crane to come in from some distance to lift the 100 to 200 feet of galvanizes pipe out of the well.
    Jack
    Should be able to pull 100' of galvy pipe and pump pretty easily with nothing more than a tripod-stand and two guys......or one guy with four arms & hands.

At 200', it'd probably warrant using a derrick-truck, but......I can't imagine that legitimately escalating the cost by $2,000 +.

IIRC, the "average" new well around here sunk to approx. 200' with the pump hanging at 100' usually costs around $10,000 these days.

Get more estimates. Try some well-drilling companies; they have more experience with submersible pumps than plumbers do, and they have their own crane trucks.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.