+ Reply to Thread

Default garage floor is peeling

Hi all, a customer had his garage floor painted with a two part epoxy. It was pressure washed but not etched. It has begun to peel and he wants it re-painted. What kind of prep work would this entail? He is not certain if it was latex or oil based and it does contain the decorative chips. Thank you very much.

Default Re: garage floor is peeling

Byron,

Unfortunately, etching or abraiding of the surface is critical in getting good performance with epoxy floor finishes, or any floor paint, for that matter. The professionals use either a grinding machine or a peening machine. The peening machine is filled with steel BB's which pound the surface to abraid it.

If your friend goes over the existing finish, his adhesion is only as good as the epoxy already there, and it has already failed! I would consider renting a surface grinder and going over the whole surface to remove the existing epoxy and rough up the concrete.

Also, I would test for moisture. Moisture will void the warranty of the epoxy. You test for moisture by taping a piece of heavy plastic to the floor overnight. It should exhibit no signs of condensation on the underside of the plastic when removed.

Thumbs up Re: garage floor is peeling

Quote Originally Posted by byron View Post
    Hi all, a customer had his garage floor painted with a two part epoxy. It was pressure washed but not etched. It has begun to peel and he wants it re-painted. What kind of prep work would this entail? He is not certain if it was latex or oil based and it does contain the decorative chips. Thank you very much.
    hi Bryon, i flip houses and do repairs. i have tried many systems and only one worked for me. there are some seriuos steps you need to go through before putting on a floor coating that doesn't peel. After you use an etching cleaner you need to have the floor tested, i recommend a product called vapor guard i think it's called. basically it tests to see if your floor is ready to being painted. then you need to use an epoxy that is high in solid silicone type epoxy coating. i use the kits that http://www.superfloorcoat.com carry. best i've seen. i tried rustoleum, but it peeled and chipped off immdiately, that product is watered down and i can have my customers ticked off so i need to use something that'll work. concrete coatings, this will take you right there http://www.superfloorcoat.com/concrete-floor.asp so good luck, if you need some pictures of my floors i have done let me know.