+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Wet plaster wall!!! How do I dry it?

My newly acquired old house had a problem with brick mortar around the attic gable vent. Water got in and damaged some plaster wall. I paid a guy to re-mortar the gable vent area and now I am waiting for the plaster wall do dry so that I can repair it. How long am I supposed to wait? It has been 2 months and it does not seem to dry? I think some water still gets in with each rain.

I do have a moisture meter that currently shows 100% moisture level in that area. How can I dry the wall down so that I can wait until the next rain to figure out if more moisture still gets in?

Thank a lot!

Default Re: Wet plaster wall!!! How do I dry it?

Drill or cut small holes in the plaster about 1 inch dia. between the wall studs.
    These holes should be about 3 feet from the floor and about 2 feet down from the ceiling one hole between each stud this will allow air movement behind the plaster also run a fan in tthe room to move air.
    It will take about a month or better to get to 50% moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Bauer View Post
    Drill or cut small holes in the plaster about 1 inch dia. between the wall studs.
    These holes should be about 3 feet from the floor and about 2 feet down from the ceiling one hole between each stud this will allow air movement behind the plaster also run a fan in tthe room to move air.
    It will take about a month or better to get to 50% moisture.
    Thanks Hank,

Anything I can to speedup the drying process? My main concern is finding out if more moisture gets in. I would hate to wait for another month just to find out that it does not dry because water still gets through the cracks in the brick mortar.

Thanks again!

Personally -- i would remove the area that's most affected for a couple of reasons...
    First -- it will help in determining exaclty where the leak is so you can properly make repairs

Secondly -- this provide a visual inspection to see if there are issues with mould or rot damage as well as allowing quicker drying.

Then there would be patching involved of course.

But -- that's would I would do.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush