+ Reply to Thread

Default Laying bricks over old concrete patio

I have an old concrete patio that is cracked and discolored. I also have a bunch of old bricks. I was thinking of having the concrete jackhammered out and putting in a brick patio, but then I thought, why not lay the bricks right on top of the cement. It will insure the bricks will be level. Is this a good idea or is there a major problem with it that I'm just not seeing?

Default Re: Laying bricks over old concrete patio

Sounds like a good idea to me. I've used sakrete to form a bed for bricks over dirt and that's the same thing as what you'll be doing except yours will be easier since the bed is done. Just use a little muriatic acid to etch the top of the concrete first. Then mix up some mortar and put down a bed under each brick. You can either butter the back of each brick or lay down a coat of mortar on the concrete and put the bricks right into the wet mortar. To save yourself some work later, you may want to smear mortar on the back and sides of each brick as you lay it, to fill the gap between the bricks.

Fill the joints as you go and clean them off as best as you can while it's still wet. Once they've set up in a day or two, you can walk on them, use a little muriatic acid (with safety rubber gloves and eye protection) and wash the faces of the brick down. You might want to use a really coarse scrub brush on a handle. It should clean the bricks up pretty well. Then wash everything off with the hose. You have to use water to stop the acid.

Good Luck.

Thank you for your advice. I forgot to mention that I was planning on laying the bricks using the dry laid method with just sand between the bricks. Then I also have the question of whether I can just put the bricks directly on top of the old concrete or should I put a layer of sand down first.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't lay the bricks directly on the concrete. If they're all uniform in thickness, there shouldn't be any reason you would have to adjust them. Since you are doing it "dry", you'll need to build a border of something around the edges to hold the sand around them. I'd probably use pressure treated 2x6 or 1x6s and drive stakes around the edge. You'll need the stakes to keep the wood up tight to the bricks after the wood starts to dry out. It'll want to start moving.

Good Luck.