+ Reply to Thread

Default finding double cylinder locks for Jeld-Wen doors

My Jeld-Wen patio doors (french doors) have single cylinder locks. Burglars used these doors to break in this past weekend. They simply broke the glass and reached in and unlocked the door. Fortunately, I have an alarm system.

I contacted Jeld-Wen and they do not offer a double cylinder key option. (They reminded me this was a fire hazard and I reminded them that home invasion is also a hazard.) Jeld-Wen simply had no options for me other than to "call a locksmith."

Does anyone know how to add a double cylinder lock to these doors? Please see the attached photos.

Bryan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dec 29 2008  - Back door photos 007.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	1942   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dec 29 2008  - Back door photos 010.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	1943  

Default Re: finding double cylinder locks for Jeld-Wen doors

mbcooke,

Having a double keyed deadbolt will just prevent your quick exit in the event of a fire (or for that matter should a burglar, rapist, murder break in to another entry point and this is your fastest exit away from same!).

Your burglars had no qualms about breaking glass noise - they'll simply bust out the entire glass and mulliion area to gain entry should they be motivated to return but you or your family member may not be able to do that to get OUT in the event of a fire.

It makes no sense to jepordize your family by doing this. There are other options.