+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Radiant Heated Countertops?

I have a 3' x 4' granite "table" area adjacent to the main work island in my kitchen. I found that it felt very cold when we used it in the morning. So, I installed radiant heating tubing under it and plumbed it in series with the radiant heating in the floor. We love it! The granite is nice and warm when we sit there in the morning. It also adds 12 sq ft to the total heating area.

I would add it under all the countertops. But it would be hard to retrofit. I see no drawbacks to it.

I have a 3' x 4' granite "table" area adjacent to the main work island in my kitchen. I found that it felt very cold when we used it in the morning. So, I installed radiant heating tubing under it and plumbed it in series with the radiant heating in the floor. We love it! The granite is nice and warm when we sit there in the morning. It also adds 12 sq ft to the total heating area.

I considered installing it under all the countertops. But it would be hard to retrofit and there is not enough room to put insulation under the tubing. So, anything in the cabinets would also be heated. I was, also, concerned about heating all food items that we would be putting on the counter.
    Last edited by Donanddilly; 12-27-2007 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donanddilly View Post

I considered installing it under all the countertops. But it would be hard to retrofit and there is not enough room to put insulation under the tubing. So, anything in the cabinets would also be heated. I was, also, concerned about heating all food items that we would be putting on the counter.
    its usually best like you have it set up. a nice heated area on a cool morning always gives that cozy feeling. on the other hand for food prep especially pastry or rolling out any kind of dough the cool granite top always works better. if you roll out dough on cool granite you will see that it sticks less, so you spread out less flour to keep it from sticking. the less flour you use to do this the closer you stick to your recipe. but of course everyone has their personal preference.

Thanks for all the replies tough guys ;>. Thanks for the note on the pastry stuff. I wouldn't heat any of the areas where I'm working w/ or storing food, only the areas where we hang out and do research. Food is such a delicate beast that any thing can alter the taste you intended to create so keeping the temp right is crucial. The ambient temp in my shop starts at 30 and hits the hottest at 50 as our source of heat is a wood stove. Once my tush gets done planning at the PC then yea it gets warm from the work but, it's the wake up that needs comfort. For the fella who heated his granite work table, did you put it in a different thermostat zone?

I agree with the last post. I wouldn't think heating a working kitchen countertop would be a good idea. I would be afraid of food going bad or bacteria growing. Can you imaging leaving your ice cream there? Sounds great as an idea for an eating counter though!

Tom Silva does indeed have heated granite countertops in his kitchen, and both he and his wife like them a lot. There's a large window at countertop level and in Massachusetts the winter weather can get a little chilly. The heat counteracts the cold coming off the window. I can tell you that touching those countertops when they're warm, and you're expecting the chill of granite, is pleasantly surprising.

doing an search I came across this discussion. My reason for wanting to heat my counters is that my wife really wants soapstone counters in our vacation cabin in NH. In the winter, we drain the pipes and let the cabin freeze when we are not there. If we go on the weekend, it takes a few hours to heat the place up but I'm afraid it will take a long time to heat up a soapstone counter. great if I were running a cold stone creamery, but that is not what I'm going for in February in NH after skiing or snowmobiling.

I'm worried about the stone cracking if I heat it from sub freezing too fast. does anyone know if soapstone is more or less prone to cracking from this type of heating? I'd be using electric radiant heat under the counters if anything.

I would contact a company like NuHeat and ask them this question. They are a prominent floorwarming manufacturer, out of Canada, and I'm sure they could answer your question - especially if you looked like you might buy their product for your application. They are a Canadian company and I'm willing to bet yours is not the first question they have answered on the subject. Excellent product too!

http://www.nuheat.com/company/about-nuheat.html
    Peggy Deras, CKD, CID
    Kitchen Artworks

For those of you who need to know the why, my wife and I have a built in buffet and are replacing the wooden countertop with a marble slab. She'd like to be able to keep food on the buffet as warm as possible when hosting a party, and when she's not using it for that wants to keep her orchids at a toasty 72 degrees. So, how do we keep the heating from radiating underneath the counter and could we just lay the slab on top of a radiant floor mesh, or would we have to embed everything in thinset?

thanks!

I guess to help with the "why" question...if you have never had granite countertops, or never cooked/served food on them you might not understand. This definitely would be a luxury item, but it would be one that I would LOVE to have. In the cooler months the granite seems to be even colder then it is outside...So for example, this year we used the bar top to serve thanksgiving dinner and by the time we actually served our plates, the food had been chilled by the countertops. The same things happens when I serve dinner each night. I actually find myself trying to serve everything from the stovetop just so that I do not have to put it on the countertop...