Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    269

    Default Re: Radiant Heated Countertops?

    Maybe run some PEX under my mattress and pillow too...lol
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    4,045

    Default Re: Radiant Heated Countertops?

    I've got to look into heated toilet seats.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    980

    Default Re: Radiant Heated Countertops?

    Quote Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
    I'm wondering why too? seems kinda dopey...lol..
    The only reason that makes half sense is that it heats the room but then again thats what radiators are for.

    However I LOVE soapstone ...being no ones answering the why heat SS counter question... wanna see some pic of the counters I fabricated in my kitchen?
    A shot of my guys carrying in the island slab..then some of it set up ready for me to cut and sand and a cpl finished shots.

    I think SS is the heaviest stone there is out there by far..amazingly heavy...and I won't even talk about the dust in cutting it.
    andy they look good. have you ever worked stone before this one? as far as the weight, lol it actually runs right about the same 3cm ss is just over 20 per sq and granite about 22.5 of course that varies with type of granite. I probally have more gizmos for carrying granite than I do for fabrication, (not really but) the weight of stone is the one thing that makes me go through employees, they don't mind getting messy but no one wants to strain the wrong area.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    269

    Default Re: Radiant Heated Countertops?

    Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    andy they look good. have you ever worked stone before this one? as far as the weight, lol it actually runs right about the same 3cm ss is just over 20 per sq and granite about 22.5 of course that varies with type of granite. I probally have more gizmos for carrying granite than I do for fabrication, (not really but) the weight of stone is the one thing that makes me go through employees, they don't mind getting messy but no one wants to strain the wrong area.
    havana
    I've never fabricated stone counters before the one in this house but I've done tons (literally) of stone work. Check my website to see some of it if you want.
    From what I understand..soapstone is THE most dense stone for counters of any other stone which is what makes it such a good choice. Its also easy to work with..At least it was for me.

    Once I have the larger slabs inside the room I want it I probably could manuever it around myself if I had to...I'm pretty resourceful. thing is getting it up stairs and around corners..holy sh@%! LOL The one piec I'm talking about was about over four feet by eight feet-ish.
    A total nut crusher...lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p1010007.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	425   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stone wall Sept 05 005.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	426  
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    980

    Default Re: Radiant Heated Countertops?

    Quote Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
    havana
    I've never fabricated stone counters before the one in this house but I've done tons (literally) of stone work. Check my website to see some of it if you want.
    From what I understand..soapstone is THE most dense stone for counters of any other stone which is what makes it such a good choice. Its also easy to work with..At least it was for me.

    Once I have the larger slabs inside the room I want it I probably could manuever it around myself if I had to...I'm pretty resourceful. thing is getting it up stairs and around corners..holy sh@%! LOL The one piec I'm talking about was about over four feet by eight feet-ish.
    A total nut crusher...lol.
    kinda a handy man of all aren't ya? soap stone is more dense but at the same time it is much softer, which makes it a lot easier to finish. 4x8 would be getting close to about 700. and if you didn't have any carry clamps, that can be rough. the nice thing is around the shop a lift takes all the work out of it,

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Radiant Heated Countertops?

    I came here searching for info on this idea. My reason for radiant countertops is this, it's frikin cold in our shop and I do a lot of research on my PC before work on projects. On the reason for my research, concrete is an excellent radiator for heat, that's why we put it in our homes in our floors. I plan on having a concrete countertop on my kitch island. If I want a truly comfortable home I'll heat my island, in the arm rest/eating areas, as it will also radiate out into my home. My Fluke Mini IR Thermometer registers my shop countertop at 54.5 degrees, I'd like it to be a little warmer and more comfortable. I wonder, for you to call this idea and idea of a wuss (pseudoparaphrase) where do you live?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    980

    Default Re: Radiant Heated Countertops?

    Quote Originally Posted by pamh View Post
    I came here searching for info on this idea. My reason for radiant countertops is this, it's frikin cold in our shop and I do a lot of research on my PC before work on projects. On the reason for my research, concrete is an excellent radiator for heat, that's why we put it in our homes in our floors. I plan on having a concrete countertop on my kitch island. If I want a truly comfortable home I'll heat my island, in the arm rest/eating areas, as it will also radiate out into my home. My Fluke Mini IR Thermometer registers my shop countertop at 54.5 degrees, I'd like it to be a little warmer and more comfortable. I wonder, for you to call this idea and idea of a wuss (pseudoparaphrase) where do you live?
    they were just joking around, please don't take them too seriously. radiant heat for counter tops isn't a bad idea for an area that you continually work. though a valid point was made I believe in one of these posts that for natural stone counter tops one of the advantages that pastry chefs like about stone is that it stays cooler and their dough doesn't stick as easly to it so they don't have to use as much flower when rolling it out, thus staying closer to the recipe. concrete counter tops can be very nice done by the right people. as far as I'm concerned they are almost an art form. be aware though just as a concrete slab will crack so will a concrete counter top, they will chip anc crack. so make sure extra reinforcing is put into the top in areas of stress around the sink. also be careful with heavy objects near the corners of those tops.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    4,045

    Default Re: Radiant Heated Countertops?

    pamh .... it's simply our opinion that's an extravagance that we feel is unnecessary for the average home ... to each their own.

    If you notice Andy who has soapstone counter tops is from Long Island NY and he commented he doesn't see the need based on his experience.

    This past weekend in the Great White North temps here were in the -30's ( -40 windchill ) while sitting around granite counter tops I didn't feel the need to have them heated.

    You mentioned your counter space at the workshop was 54.5 degrees ( that would also depend on the ambient temperature of the room ) I doubt that would be the case inside your living space of your home.
    Likely your shop temperature is around 55-60 degrees and while sitting around at those temps your blood flow is less so likely your extremities like the feet and legs are cold. Sitting at a heated counter top wouldn't help with those besides the inefficient use of energy to heat a counter top in such a cold environment.

    The idea of the heated counter tops radiating heat and contributing to overall comfort to the home would be questionable .... IMHO. The counter tops being well above floor level raises the question of benefit versus the energy used to heat the counter space.

    If you feel the need ... go for it.

    Good luck and stay warm.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Radiant Heated Countertops?

    ***. I guess I touched off quite a discussion on this subject... and then forgot to check back for answers. To answer Andy, I don't know why my husband would want radiant heated counters, and that's why I was asking. I'm inclined to agree that it seems like a bit much. We're leaning toward soapstone, but yesterday I did see some black granite honed counters that the homeowner raved about. Usually black granite has those shiny flecks that make it look cheap to me. But this was pretty solid and rich looking. I also some antique finished granite the other day that felt that old leather to the touch. Anyone have any experience with that finish? Thanks for your insights.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    980

    Default Re: Radiant Heated Countertops?

    Quote Originally Posted by vicbythesea View Post
    ***. I guess I touched off quite a discussion on this subject... and then forgot to check back for answers. To answer Andy, I don't know why my husband would want radiant heated counters, and that's why I was asking. I'm inclined to agree that it seems like a bit much. We're leaning toward soapstone, but yesterday I did see some black granite honed counters that the homeowner raved about. Usually black granite has those shiny flecks that make it look cheap to me. But this was pretty solid and rich looking. I also some antique finished granite the other day that felt that old leather to the touch. Anyone have any experience with that finish? Thanks for your insights.
    a honed finish is basically one that hasn't been polished all the way back out. I'm not sure what you are talking about with a old leather touch? if you are saying a textured finish to the face then it could have been a slate like maybe black cleft, if you check with one of your local cabinet shops they should be able to give you the name of some local stone companies if they their sign says they do granite countertops they will do any natural stone (they all come from the same suppliers) though to get a particular stone they may need to check with a few different suppliers because most suppliers are associated with particular mining companies which will give them exclusives on particular stones. If you are interested send me an e-mail and I will give you the web site of a few of the bigger stone importers who have pictures on their websites of their selections.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •