+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Contractor sheetrocked over my AC Vents

There are not any cans or bulges or ANYTHING that would indicate where the DUCTS are!

Quote Originally Posted by Neddy View Post
    Do you know that ducts/vents/trunkwork are even installed behind High-velocityalready? How do you know this?
    The house is two story with an atic above the second story. The duct work is visible for the second floor installation, the second floor is not the problem. I CAN see the ductwork run through the rafters to the first floor. The house has four rooms and a bath on the first floor and four rooms and a bath on the second floor, but the foot print is dramatically different. The duct fork is for a High-velocity system
    There are not any cans or bulges or ANYTHING that would indicate where the DUCTS are!
    Well then it would seem that your "fork" which is visable and accessible is your tracing point. Suggested some methods in my prior post for tracing that from the boot, trunk, or fork. Since you didn't provide any details I cannot narrow it down for you, but you have options for doing so and narrowing down where the terminations are. It is easy to patch an exploritory narrow hole or two once you've determined the approximate locations.

All high velocity duct work I have seen has been install to output at the ceiling. Flexible ducts are some times attached to a metal flange. I still think I would try a metal detector. By noting spacing in straight lines you should be able to eliminate drywall screws or nails.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Please, no more question about me being sure if this or that. Yes, I am sure. I have been working on this for several years now. Though, I appreciate the suggestions

Do you know that ducts/vents/trunkwork are even installed behind High-velocityalready? How do you know this?
    The house is two story with an atic above the second story. The duct work is visible for the second floor installation, the second floor is not the problem. I CAN see the ductwork run through the rafters to the first floor. The house has four rooms and a bath on the first floor and four rooms and a bath on the second floor, but the foot print is dramatically different. The duct fork is for a High-velocity system
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    Well then it would seem that your "fork" which is visable and accessible is your tracing point. Suggested some methods in my prior post for tracing that from the boot, trunk, or fork. Since you didn't provide any details I cannot narrow it down for you, but you have options for doing so and narrowing down where the terminations are. It is easy to patch an exploritory narrow hole or two once you've determined the approximate locations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post

Finding a HVAC contractor who is a certified installer/dealer experienced in retrofitting the same system and materials along with if necessary a thermal imaging spe******t may be your "ticket" to minimally invasive detection. If you know you have metal duct work for example perhaps a metal detector or multi-function wall stud finder. A radio signal device or camera might be fished down existing ducts and sensed from the interior - without details can't recommend which approach - but someone experienced in your type of system materials and visiting on site could likely suggest a least invasive approach for this, we can try from here but not without SOME DETAILS

......What material might comprise this duct work, if there are areas where it can be seen such as a trunk, or source point, etc What clues you have about how the system distribution - source point. Details please - it is impossible to guess. photos may also be helpful. What you know about the insulation in outside walls, insulation type on exterior, etc.
    Please, no more question about me being sure if this or that. Yes, I am sure. I have been working on this for several years now. Though, I appreciate the suggestions
    You're welcome and good luck.
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 12-30-2008 at 01:12 PM.

Thanks for the suggestions. It will take me a couple of days to take pictures. But I will post them

Since you say you can see where the ducts branch off and head for the first floor, that gives us some clues as to where the outlets might be.

The ducts probably go straight down through a void or wall cavity, then follow a joist cavity. It's unlikely that the duct would go through a stud or joist, though if small enough, they may. So if you can figure out which way the joists run, identify the cavity (joist bay) between the floors that is directly below the visible part of the duct. The outlet may be somewhere along this joist bay, most likely close to the exterior wall.

There's been so much chatter here that I haven't got it straight whether it's a low-velocity (big ducts & outlets - ~8" dia. or 3x10) or high-velocity (large main duct with small hoses and small outlets, about 2" dia.). It sounds like you might have a high-velocity system, but I'm kind of confused.

If it's a high-velocity system, it's quite possible that the heating contractor left hoses in the ceiling intending that the sheetrocker would make a hole and poke the hoses through. The heating contractor would then come along later and install the vent/flanges. If the sheetrocker is unfamiliar with this system, it stands to reason they wouldn't know to poke the hoses through. There would be no bulges in the ceiling, and no metal "cans" to detect with a metal detector. In this case, finding the ends of the hoses will be nearly impossible.

You may be able to run an electrician's fish tape into the duct and have someone listening to see if they can hear when it comes out and rattles around on the sheetrock. Then you would cut a hole just a hair larger than the hose and fish the hose out, attach the vent/flange, and be happy. Be careful; you could end up poking a hole in the hose and that wouldn't be good.

ANYWAY, that's the way I'm assuming it could be done. I've *NEVER* dealt with a high-velocity system personally; I've only seen them, and not in great detail. I'm just throwing this out there as an idea for the masses to consider and pick apart.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Smile Re: Contractor sheetrocked over my AC Vents

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    Since you say you can see where the ducts branch off and head for the first floor, that gives us some clues as to where the outlets might be.

The ducts probably go straight down through a void or wall cavity, then follow a joist cavity. It's unlikely that the duct would go through a stud or joist, though if small enough, they may. So if you can figure out which way the joists run, identify the cavity (joist bay) between the floors that is directly below the visible part of the duct. The outlet may be somewhere along this joist bay, most likely close to the exterior wall.

There's been so much chatter here that I haven't got it straight whether it's a low-velocity (big ducts & outlets - ~8" dia. or 3x10) or high-velocity (large main duct with small hoses and small outlets, about 2" dia.). It sounds like you might have a high-velocity system, but I'm kind of confused.The system is high velocity small ducts in the walls trunked into a 10-12" duct for the heat exchanger.

If it's a high-velocity system, it's quite possible that the heating contractor left hoses in the ceiling intending that the sheetrocker would make a hole and poke the hoses through. The heating contractor would then come along later and install the vent/flanges. If the sheetrocker is unfamiliar with this system, it stands to reason they wouldn't know to poke the hoses through. There would be no bulges in the ceiling, and no metal "cans" to detect with a metal detector. In this case, finding the ends of the hoses will be nearly impossible.But I like your idea of using a camera, I have an under water camera system which will work.

You may be able to run an electrician's fish tape into the duct and have someone listening to see if they can hear when it comes out and rattles around on the sheetrock. Then you would cut a hole just a hair larger than the hose and fish the hose out, attach the vent/flange, and be happy. Be careful; you could end up poking a hole in the hose and that wouldn't be good.

ANYWAY, that's the way I'm assuming it could be done. I've *NEVER* dealt with a high-velocity system personally; I've only seen them, and not in great detail. I'm just throwing this out there as an idea for the masses to consider and pick apart.
    Thank you for your wonderful suggestions. It wi;; take me a couple of days, but I will take some photos and post them.

Smile Re: Contractor sheetrocked over my AC Vents

Neddy, (and others reading your latest post, above)

I almost missed that you had inserted comments/responses at the end of several paragraphs up within the quoted text from Fencepost's post (on my monitor the brownish color font wasn't that easy to detect)..

For clarity, and so that others don't miss them, I'm reposting/formatting the statements/questions and your responses below:

There's been so much chatter here that I haven't got it straight whether it's a low-velocity (big ducts & outlets - ~8" dia. or 3x10) or high-velocity (large main duct with small hoses and small outlets, about 2" dia.). It sounds like you might have a high-velocity system, but I'm kind of confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neddy Inserted in his quote
    The system is high velocity small ducts in the walls trunked into a 10-12" duct for the heat exchanger
    If it's a high-velocity system, it's quite possible that the heating contractor left hoses in the ceiling intending that the sheetrocker would make a hole and poke the hoses through. The heating contractor would then come along later and install the vent/flanges. If the sheetrocker is unfamiliar with this system, it stands to reason they wouldn't know to poke the hoses through. There would be no bulges in the ceiling, and no metal "cans" to detect with a metal detector. In this case, finding the ends of the hoses will be nearly impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neddy Inserted in his quote
    But I like your idea of using a camera, I have an under water camera system which will work.

Thank you for your wonderful suggestions. It wi;; take me a couple of days, but I will take some photos and post them.

I think Fencepost's suggestion of using a fish tape is an excellent idea.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb