+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Contractor sheetrocked over my AC Vents

My contractor has sheetrocked over my Air Conditioning Vents and a map of where the vents are located is not available. Is there any way to locate these vent locations.

Default Re: Contractor sheetrocked over my AC Vents

If you know about where they are turn the heat on and find the warm spot. or get someone with a heat scaning camera it will show where the heat or corld is behind the sheetrock. good luck

If you know approx location of the vents use a straight edge and lay it across the area and the vent should show as a high spot. then turn the straight edge 90 degrees and it should show as a high spot from that direction also. then use a roto zip to cut the vent opening out.

If you have metal duck work, go to a wood working store and buy a small inexpensive metal detector. It will react to screws and nails but the duct work should be evident.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Neddy View Post
    My contractor has sheetrocked over my Air Conditioning Vents and a map of where the vents are located is not available. Is there any way to locate these vent locations.
    Yes. Make your contractor redo his work, start by memorializing the bad work by photographing, and your local building inspector might also be willing to help you out with a courtesy inspection - buttressing your case should you need to sue the contractor. Gosh knows what else he's covered - live electrical outlets, open wiring, shut off valves, etc. and if you start cutting from the finished side you'll end up with messy openings and possibly cut/damage something you shouldn't, plus having nailers installed nearby an opening so as to secure the wall board so you don't have a cracking wall later could be messy. If you start messing with his work product without calling the contractor "on the carpet" to fix it you might end up making it cost you more in the end (having to replace the sheetrock instead of being able to recycle it).You have to give the contractor, or his insurance company the opportunity to mitigate the damage, usually, to prevail.

Of course I'd also call his insurance company (you do have a certificate of insurance showing completed ops liability right?) and advise you may have a claim situation - get them "on board". Of course your contractor is insured, licensed and/or bonded and you have all this information on hand before you contracted them right?

P.S. I would NOT recommend running the system blower knowing that vents have been sheet-rocked over - you could not only contaminate your entire venting system with debris/dust/etc. but burn out your blower motor and other controls.
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 12-29-2008 at 07:23 PM.

the post by brp is a bit of an over dramatization. the drywall is usually hung covering over these things then a roto zip is used cutting them out. when cutting on the outside of a box you run your rotozip counter clockwise and the spin actually holds the bit to the box and makes a nice clean cut. even after it is sprayed and painted you can do this as long as you have it located. usually all wall outlets they will mark on the floor to give them the location. and on the ceiling they usually will put a mark on the drywall at the approx center of the hole. virtually nobody cuts the boxes out before they hang, its just not time efficient nor is it as exact as using a rotozip. though I will say she is exactally correct in the fact that you need to call them back to cut them out. their mistake so it should be their fix.

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    you need to call them back to cut them out. their mistake so it should be their fix.
    Yup! Should be as simple as that.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    the post by brp is a bit of an over dramatization.
    Ya think??

If you cover over the blower outlet, the blower doesn't move any air and consequently the motor doesn't do any work. Gonna be kinda hard to burn it out that way.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 12-29-2008 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    Ya think??

If you cover over the blower outlet, the blower doesn't move any air and consequently the motor doesn't do any work. Gonna be kinda hard to burn it out that way.
    Actually, the blower is doing MORE work -- it's compressing the air in the ducts. You should notice a slight decrease in speed of the blower, indicating it's working harder. On the other hand, if you cover the intake, the blower rarefies the air (it's a partial vacuum) so it can spin more freely and speed up. Try it with your shop vac.

Either way, when you decrease the airflow by either blocking the intake or the exhaust, the motor will not get enough air to cool off properly and could overheat and "burn out." I doubt this would happen in the few minutes it would take to identify a blocked vent. If there are one or two vents that are not blocked, it probably won't burn out for a long time -- but the life could be shortened.

I smell a debate brewing here.... let the mud fly!
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Neddy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    Actually, the blower is doing MORE work -- it's compressing the air in the ducts. You should notice a slight decrease in speed of the blower, indicating it's working harder. On the other hand, if you cover the intake, the blower rarefies the air (it's a partial vacuum) so it can spin more freely and speed up. Try it with your shop vac.

Either way, when you decrease the airflow by either blocking the intake or the exhaust, the motor will not get enough air to cool off properly and could overheat and "burn out." I doubt this would happen in the few minutes it would take to identify a blocked vent. If there are one or two vents that are not blocked, it probably won't burn out for a long time -- but the life could be shortened.

I smell a debate brewing here.... let the mud fly!
    Notice the original poster didn't say cover over some of my vents or covered over some HVAC vents, just covered over my AC vents,.without limitation (which implies all). Didn't say ridgid DUCTS either. Could be strictly AC vents, could be flexable insulated mini tube vents you know the type that you have to fish the tubing through a pre-cut hole in the wall and refit the mounting ring back on then push it back into the wall board where it sits spring fit.

Wild assumptions and throwing mud does not help the orignal poster. The contractor has not completed his job correctly, you have recourse.