+ Reply to Thread

Default Tips wanted on re-covering laminate counters in-place

I'm planning on putting some new laminate over some existing laminate counters. From what I've read, it looks fairly straight forward, however I'm confused about one part when doing this with out removing the existing counters.

When using a router to cut the edge of the laminate flush, what happens when the router hits a wall/edge on either end of the counter top? It seems that the center of the router will only cut up until the radius of the base away from the wall. Is there a way to make the rest of the cut by hand?

Any other good tips?

Default Re: Tips wanted on re-covering laminate counters in-place

This is exactly what I want to do. I made the original, do you just do the same thing with the glue as if you are making a new one or do you have to do someting with the old top?

Wink Re: Tips wanted on re-covering laminate counters in-place

You can buy inexpensive hand held laminate trimmers to finish the job through woodworking supply companies. Two are: Rockler.com and Woodcraft.com.

Calcats

You can get a trimmer that is offset allows you to get closer to walls/obstructions, they cost more. Porter cable has one such trimmer kit. Costs more.

Use a file to bevel after the trimmer cut.

when you re-laminate do you use the same contact cement as when putting over pressboard and do you have to scuff up the old laminate? I alrady have the laminate trimmer. Thanks

A few other things to kind in mind when doing this:

Make sure the old top is completely bonded to the old substrate, if it isn't you'll need to repair it before you lay down a new sheet. If you have any chips in the field, fill them with a Bondo type two part epoxy. If you make this type repair make sure to sand it before cleaning the top.

Clean the top with a degreaser, once cleaned, sand it with 80 grit sand paper. When completed, clean it again with a degreaser. Denatured Alcohol makes a good degreaser for the second cleaning.

Thanks for the info Joe

Smile Re: Tips wanted on re-covering laminate counters in-place

for what it is worth I have been doing HPL (laminate) work for 25plus years. What I have found to resurface is the same as others have stated. You MUST start with a good snading and cleaning and just decause I can I will do it again. You need a semi rough surface clesn of and types of contaminents (oil, grease, soda, etc) for the contact to adhear to. Don't forget the selfedge (front edge)it needs to be preped in the same way. And remember to apply the front edge first then the top. As far as the type of glue is up to you. Water base takes longer to dry but you can keep your wits in tack. Quick dry (laquire base) applied in a small area will smell and after the head rush is over the head pain starts.
    It will continue to smell utill it has flashed off(completly dried)as directions claim.
    I hope this will help anyone that is looking. I also wish to point out that there is different methoids and terms used across the US but they still have the same results. And my spelling is still bad.