+ Reply to Thread

Default Spray insulation and rodent barrier

I live in a garden level condo (English basement) in a modest building. My apartment abutts the elevator shaft. Being that I live in a large city there is a problem with mice. I'm planning a kitchen redo soon and so would be demo-ing almost half the adjoining wall. Pest control recommends using the expansion foam to plug the places the little bastards are coming through. I was wondering whether while I'm at it to just yank the rock off the entire adjoining wall and spray foam insulation floor to ceiling to seal off the condo.

So I'm wondering about the viabiliity of such a plan -- whether it would have any impact on my little friends -- and what kind of spray foam I should be looking into.

Thanks in advance, --db

Default Re: Spray insulation and rodent barrier

I've never worked with spray foam, other than great stuff, but I would question the effectiveness of foam being a rodent barrier, unless it specifically contained some sort of rodent repellant. Since rodents chew through almost anything, I would think they would have no problem going through foam. Rats have even been known to chew through cement. I have used steel wool in access holes and covered them with pyroseal with success.

Quote Originally Posted by dberkowitz View Post
    I live in a garden level condo (English basement) in a modest building. My apartment abutts the elevator shaft. Being that I live in a large city there is a problem with mice. I'm planning a kitchen redo soon and so would be demo-ing almost half the adjoining wall. Pest control recommends using the expansion foam to plug the places the little bastards are coming through. I was wondering whether while I'm at it to just yank the rock off the entire adjoining wall and spray foam insulation floor to ceiling to seal off the condo.

So I'm wondering about the viabiliity of such a plan -- whether it would have any impact on my little friends -- and what kind of spray foam I should be looking into.

Thanks in advance, --db

My understanding is that they particularly don't like the foam, so that's why I was asking.

Spray foam just a nest for insects and rodents doesn't deter them. If you can cut it with a knife they can cut it with their teeth and will if driven by curiosity, a quest for warmth, shelter, water or food. Metal flashing for rodent proofing and duct seal. Your unit should be draft blocked and fire blocked from the elevator shaft.

Folks will as a temporary solution stuff a rodent "door" with unsoaped steel wool and "glue" it in place with curing spray foam to also insulate and depending on the foam draft block it - but its a temporary solution at best and you run the danger of trapping moisture and the steel wool corroding (rusting) and fast becoming useless especially exposed to air, moisture (including condensation) and concrete (steel not encased in it).

Someone mentioned "great stuff" horrible to use in your situation, stuff holds a LOT of water like a sponge - insects and animals will just nurse on it.

Talking Re: Spray insulation and rodent barrier

Ok so I am new here An I am a woman...I have A stubborn Mouse or Rat I have tried the following, Stickey pads All over the house dident catch any but the lil bugger put the insolation from the attic around the PB than ate it... I used Decon under house and in some hole None dead.I have small children so I had to be careful...I put out Mice traps I caught 5 all together in a matter of two weeks.. These lil bugggers are smart they started going around them... Ok so Last night I went to my local Walley world and purchased Great stuff (you know what I am talking about if you are on this site )I also purchased the steel woll grade 3 if that helps.. This is what i did.. I have cabinets that the mice or rat is coming in from the space is about an half of an inch wide The cabinets sit farther out than the base board And I think the cabinets is just sitting on a frame..
    I last night figured to block this path off.. I pulled the steel wool apart about 6 inches than stuffed it in the gaps then I sprayed the foam in it...(huge mess I got it all over my hands.. I woke up this morning to A huge mess They chewed it up and just left it there for me to clean... No manners at all.. Well they chewed the foam and pushed the steel wool out.. Can any one help.. What should I do next..should I buy more steel wool and keep spraying the foam... They are smart little buggers.. And I know for a fact it is a mouse or rat.. I have seen it... or them.. Dont know how many are here..