+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs down Installing central heating in an Amish-built house that has none

There is an Amish house built in 2002 in central Pennsylvania that I have my eye on to buy. It was built by Amish for Amish, and has no central heating or electricity.

Could I please hear some opinions on
    1. whether it is wise to try to install central heat and juice;
    2. brainstorming on how to make the job less difficult;
    3. ballpark notions on how much the job would cost.

It has 7 bedrooms and appears to be very nicely constructed. It is discounted compared to the market.

Default Re: Installing central heating in an Amish-built house that has none

Before you even "go there" (and we can't without specifics anyway - without is just wild guessing):

Fuel for heating other than electric heat what are your options - utility NG, propane tank, oil, coal?

Cost of bringing utility service to the house for this inquire of the utility(ies) (electric, NG).

This alone could blow your budget out of the ball park.

Next, check with the authority having jurisdiction regarding zoning, and code requirements. Does the abode even have a certificate of occupancy and if so is it conditional regarding a specific exemption granted to the owner/occupant being a practitioner of the sect.

How is heating and water heating being handled now? wood/coal stoves? fireplaces? boilers?

Default Re: Installing central heating in an Amish-built house that has none

Plus the type of construction, brick, frame, post and beam etc? Basement? I have heard of power company charges in excess of $10 grand to just get electric to a building site . Cost of necessary permits in that area?

I would suggest you get a local competent contractor involved, who may have already been through this type of upgrade in this area.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb