+ Reply to Thread

Default wood vs fiberglass composition columns

I live in a 102 year old house in Northern California. I am adding a covered wood veranda over a to be brick patio. I am trying to respect the original design which is why the brick surrounded by concrete. I am having the moldings milled to match existing. However I need 8, 14 inch columns. I understand the new fiberglass columns are really hard to tell from the wood (which I have on my entry on the other side of the house) and the upkeep might be easier (south facing), I paint often. Rot is not much of a problem as we only have rain for 4-5 months. of course my house is almost entirely redwood. I feel guilty thinking of fiberglass but the new wood things are not as good as the old redwood. Advise. If fiberglass which Co. makes the one most like wood.

nova scotia, canada

Default Re: wood vs fiberglass composition columns

just last week we installed 4 fibreglass posts on the front of a house where the old ones were rotting. they have just as much strength as wood but if you want ones that look like wood you'll have to shop around and could pay a pretty penny for it. Most of the posts available are smooth finish with a grey tone.

as of late we have been installing alot of fibreglass entry doors, the skins on them have a very close resemblance to wood however their about 30%-40% more than a vinyl door
    fire up the saw and make some dust