+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs down mushrooms decomposing the wood on my house.

I have this mushroom that is decomposing the wood on my house it stared on the cedar trim around the window rotted a hole through the cedar and then moved into the inside garage wall, I replaced the section of wall that was rotten but it came back. It has started on the actual window in a different location how. Have tried garden stores, nursery, and even a lumber store no body knows. How do I stop it?

Default Re: mushrooms decomposing the wood on my house.

Considering that mushrooms (all rot, actually ) stem from moisture, I'd say you've got a moisture problem on that wall. Do you have any irrigation systems that hit that wall? If so, redirect the sprinklers off the structure. Is there a roof mounted AC who's condensate line runs down the roof and splashes on the window/siding? If so, extend the drip tube to the ground and away from the structure. Anything that causes that area to stay wet is going to be the cause of the mushrooms and rot.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The mushrooms aren't the cause, they are a symptom. You have water getting in the wall. Could be poorly installed or flashed window, leaking roof or siding.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    The mushrooms aren't the cause, they are a symptom. You have water getting in the wall. Could be poorly installed or flashed window, leaking roof or siding.
    With mushrooms growing on the interior side of the wall as well, there could be an internal plumbing leak too.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Could this be a ventilation & moisture problem? Being a garage, I am guessing there may not be gutters on the roof?

I had a similiar problem on a bathroom wall. The wall by the shower would get wet. It had a window right in the shower stall, but the window went to the backyard that saw zero sunlight & minimal breeze. Open the window during a shower & where does all the water go? Down the outside of the house. I ended up tearing out the entire wall before mold set in and replaced it with a solid (no window) wall. I added a powerful bathroom fan and installed gutters on the outside. Two years now and none of the old moisture problems.

Mushrooms are a fungis. So is mold. Is it possible there is mold and you may have missed eliminating some of it?