+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is the difference between industrial design and product design?

I'm a prospective art/design school student and have been looking through catalogs and websites of various colleges. I've noticed some of these schools offer industrial design degrees, others product design degrees, and a few have both. I think I might want to try product design, but I'm not really sure as to what industrial design is and whether or not that's actually what I'm looking for. Can someone tell me what the difference between these two majors are? Examples of jobs that each would have would also be helpful.

Default Re: What is the difference between industrial design and product design?

As I understand it, industrial design is the study of function and form, and the relationship between the user and the product. Furniture design is an example. See http://www.industrialdesignserved.com/

Product design combines art, science and technology to create goods.

Look at Morris, R. (2009). The Fundamentals of Product Design. San Francisco: AVA Publishing. pg 23
    Fred Hidden Content

Love Hidden Content from Jones & Co

Default Re: What is the difference between industrial design and product design?

Cell Biology & genetics will deal with more of the nitty gritty stuff like meiosis and mitosis, protein replication, etc. So a smaller scale it deals with what makes up an organism.

A bizarre insight Alexander!
    Fred Hidden Content

Love Hidden Content from Jones & Co

Hello,
    The basic different of the between industrial and product design.Basically, both are seeking to define a need and create a response in three dimensions. It may be a design issue to the surface for an existing product or it could be preparing a new feature that does not exist. Good design and drawing skills are important. During the ability for mathematics, geometry, etc. are also important.

Hi everybody, I am a new member just joined the
    community to share my knowledge with others..........................thank u

In the past, my experience with industrial engineers was making our space more efficient for material flow and safe for personnel. For example, relaying the floor layout to eliminate wasted steps.

DIYFred and kcb, you've been had. This thread was started by a spammer, and most of the replies are spam. (The spam is the link in the signature line; the body is generated semi-randomly.)
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

MY take on it is product design is one of the many sub categories in Industrial Design.let car is a product and its frame is industrial design.
    Paradise Valley Homes for Sale
    Last edited by abraham.a; 02-26-2011 at 05:21 AM.

Industrial design might also incorporate design for machinery that makes products.Product Design is a facet of Industrial Design.