+ Reply to Thread

Default Leaks in ductwork.

Hi,
    I desperately need help. Living in Houston and my upstairs is hot and humid. I've had at least 4 A/C experts come to my house and nobody has been able to figure out why the system is not cooling upstairs.
    I have 2 packaged units located on a flat roof of a 2 story townhome (no attic). As a result, the ductwork upstairs is sandwiched between the ceiling and the roof. I finally had someone figure out that we have an air leak in the ductwork located within the ceiling but nobody knows how to figure out where the leak is located since it is not visible. Does anyone know how to find leaks in ductwork that is not accessible?
    I appreciate any help I can get.

Default Re: Leaks in ductwork.

If it isn't visible how did the person that looked at it determine that it's leaking??? Has it always been like this? Maybe you could get someone with a camera that they use to check duct work before and after cleaning them. Did they check the CFM's at the supplies??? Can you feel any air at all at the same? Unfortunately if you find the leak with one of those camera's the next step is opening up the ceiling(if you don't have suspended). I'd do a little more investigating first

They determined it was leaking based on the small amount of air coming out of the vents. There has never been a lot of air coming out so it was difficult to notice a difference. I didn't think about calling a company that cleans ducts. I'll call around to see if they can use a camera to find a leak. Thanks.

It may be cheaper to buy one of those cameras yourself than paying a Co. to do it for you. Where is your Air Handler located, and do you change your return filter regularly, has the coil ever froze up on you?