+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Circuit breaker keeps tripping....how to proceed??

Rick said he had them (arcfault) on all the old circuits he hadn't had re-wired.

Although arcfault protection is a good idea with past-useful life wiring as well as new wiring schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    I agree with the disagreement as well.
    And changing out a breaker would be a reach to me as well.
    And just to hijack the post, would the new breaker have to be an AFCI or would it be grandfathered?
    If the breaker was in need of replacement likely grandfathered since it would only be a repair
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Considering the dozens of homes I've been involved with and the thousands of homes wired this way .....
    Same deal around here. *Many* 50s' homes wired this way........(not to even mention those wired before that era). How could it be any other way when there's a 60 amp service fed thru a 4-fuse box for the whole freakin' house? Around here.....there were no codes being used/enforced in the 50s. People needed housing and they needed it as economically as possible. Electrical needs were far less, too. Four fuses/circuits served them just dandy for many years.

There was no "nanny state" like there is now. Nonetheless, these houses were built better, stronger and of better materials than those being built today. I'd much sooner have one of those than a modern-day McMansion. Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    If the breaker was in need of replacement likely grandfathered since it would only be a repair
    That would make sense. Not like an inspector would be dragging out the code book and thumbing though it.

the only reason that I'm posting a response here is that I have just been through this this past week on a house that I'm overseeing.

here according to the local building inspector the only breakers that have to be arc fault is the bedrooms. most of the receptacles in the bath rooms and kitchens are on gfi and all the other rooms are regular breakers. now of course this isn't a replacing of a single breaker but rather rewiring the complete house.

those arc fault breakers sure are sensative.

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    the only reason that I'm posting a response here is that I have just been through this this past week on a house that I'm overseeing.

here according to the local building inspector the only breakers that have to be arc fault is the bedrooms. most of the receptacles in the bath rooms and kitchens are on gfi and all the other rooms are regular breakers. now of course this isn't a replacing of a single breaker but rather rewiring the complete house.

those arc fault breakers sure are sensative.
    Not to mention expensive as well.

I also have simular problem. I have 3 things on one circuit but they are not loaded at the same time. even if you unplug all of them the circuit still will trip. I have a GFI with a outdoor light pole, pool cover and sprinkler timer all on one circuit. When I unplug the sprinkler timer and shut off the light and do not use the pool cover the curcuit trips by passing the GFI. I can run all three at the same time and nothing happens. I changed out the circuit breaker and GFI and still have same problem. All of these devices are out side.