+ Reply to Thread

Default Recaulk bath tile

A contractor tiled my bath a few years ago, and less than a year later the caulk between the tile and tub was cracking. I taped over it with some plastic sheeting and finally getting around to doing it.
    The caulk is hard as a rock. I got some Caulk Be Gone that's supposed to turn it into soft putty. 5 hours later it's still hard as a rock. I even got a special tool to take it out and smooth the new caulk in. Doesn't do anything.
    Any suggestions?

Default Re: Recaulk bath tile

Are you sure it's caulk and not grout.
    If it's grout then it would crack. The proper caulk used would cure but have flexability.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default Re: Recaulk bath tile

Yeah, I guess it's grout. A contractor on another board suggested it might be mortar, and to chisel it out.

I was pret nervous about chiseling it out, but I did it. Is it necessary to get every little bit out?
    There're clearances between the tub and tile from 1/16 inch to more than 1/4 inch - next project is to level the house (I mean in a good way). Do I need any kind of backing mtl or can I just shove extra caulk in there - that's what the contractor it - mortar, grout or whatever it is as far as the eye can see.