+ Reply to Thread

Default electrical nightmare

Our house is old (1950's) with new rooms added in the 70's.
    Our den is one of the 70's addition. The outlets lately will stop working, (ac and tv on different wall outlet and 3rd wall outlet no power) then all of a sudden will come back on. This started in june and only happened a couple of times.

Friday morning the ac was off and no power to tv. Checked the breakers, they all have power, there are 2 junction boxes in the basement on the wall by the den. There is also an outlet outside (carport & den wall) that does not work.
    I know I need to call electricain, but I would like to have heads up idea on problem. If you could please help.
    Thanks

Default Re: electrical nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by deadshort View Post
    Happy to help.
    You have no power to those outlets.
    I thought this was supposed to be professional board.

If you need more info ask. or leave the crack-or-jack comments in your head.

Most probable cause is the wiring to the outlets is in the stab connectors rather than around the screws. The blades in the stab connectors weaken over time or due to heat. Remove the outlets and connect the wires to the screw terminals. Another possibility is a loose connection in a junction box.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 07-17-2010 at 06:29 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by swsneed help View Post
    Our house is old (1950's) with new rooms added in the 70's.
    Our den is one of the 70's addition. The outlets lately will stop working, (ac and tv on different wall outlet and 3rd wall outlet no power) then all of a sudden will come back on. This started in june and only happened a couple of times.

Friday morning the ac was off and no power to tv. Checked the breakers, they all have power, there are 2 junction boxes in the basement on the wall by the den. There is also an outlet outside (carport & den wall) that does not work.
    I know I need to call electricain, but I would like to have heads up idea on problem. If you could please help.
    Thanks
    Junction boxes in old homes are always suspect.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

"The breakers have power to them" means what?
    It only means that the main breaker is "on". Is the power getting beyond the 60 year old breaker? Breakers are designed to fail-safe, IIRC; when they wear completely out, even if they are in the on position, they are not passing current. I'd check the black wire coming out of the breaker to the neutral buss with a trouble light. If it is still hot, OK, go from there.
    You can't take anything for granted with 60 (or even 40) year old gear.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Most probable cause is the wiring to the outlets is in the stab connectors rather than around the screws. The blades in the stab connectors weaken over time or due to heat. Remove the outlets and connect the wires to the screw terminals. Another possibility is a loose connection in a junction box.
    Jack
    Just wanted to thank you for you help, great advice.
    And update on the problem.
    Found an outlet that we did not use behind a cabinet. It was burnt. Was going to replace but seems the wiring is really bad and the outlet completely fell apart as I was taking it out.
    Will call an electrician to run new wire and update the panel box to 200 amp.
    Thank you all for your advice it was a big help.

Except for the cracker-jack.

Quote Originally Posted by deadshort View Post
    I just laughed so hard I about peed my pants!
    Stock up on Attends adult incontinence briefs. They are said to prevent embarrassing wet spots.
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.