+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs up Screeeching toilet!

We have a two bathroom home where it looks to have both bathrooms back to back. Within the past month, every time we would flush the back room toilet, the front one would schreech even after the water has been filled. Within the past week, it would periodically schreech within the hour? I have checked both toilets and both seem to look the same, nothing different anything that was changed was changed at the same time. I have no clue? Would rather do it myself but have no clue where to start??? Suggestions please.

Default Re: Screeeching toilet!

Quote Originally Posted by RANDOMWORK View Post
    We have a two bathroom home where it looks to have both bathrooms back to back. Within the past month, every time we would flush the back room toilet, the front one would schreech even after the water has been filled. Within the past week, it would periodically schreech within the hour? I have checked both toilets and both seem to look the same, nothing different anything that was changed was changed at the same time. I have no clue? Would rather do it myself but have no clue where to start??? Suggestions please.
    The sound you hear is from the fill valve in the tank of the "front " toilet .
    If you shutoff the water supply to that toilet I"ll bet that sound disappears.

If this sound is heard intermittently and no other water use at the time --- then that toilet is leaking from the tank into the bowl.

Either from the float mechanism is set too high ---- overshooting the fill level and spilling over into the fill/overflow tube in the tank.

---- Or ---

The flapper seal is leaking water from the tank into the bowl.

Also ensure the hose from the fill valve is clipped onto the fill/overflow tube so it runs water directly into the fill/overflow tube --- and not laying in the water of the tank.

As for the sound heard from that toilet while the other one is being flush could be from a weak diaphragm within the fill valve of the "front" toilet.
    If this diaphragm is weak it could vibrate from water pressure variance when the other toilet is flushed --- think of a reed used in a wind instrument.

Also the diaphragm acts as part of an anti-siphon mechanism within the fill valve. If --- for example --- the end of the hose from the fill valve mentioned earlier --- is partially or fully submerged in the water of the tank and the diaphragm is weak --- then it could siphon water back through the fill valve also causing the vibration noise.

If the fill valve is the problem -- it's better just to replace it --- they're not that expensive.

Just some thoughts.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush